This bacon jalapeno mac n cheese is a nice twist on the typical recipe and is over the top delicious. Cheesy goodness, smoky bacon and jalapenos three great flavors that are fantastic together. I make this at least once a week, either as a side dish or main course.
It’s easy to make and ready in about 30 minutes. You can use any pasta you have on hand and any cheese you prefer really. The panko crumbs on top add just a little crunchy texture. Mmmm It was such a huge hit in my house the first time I made it, that I had to make it twice in the same week. Whether its a side dish or a main dish, this is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Comfort food at it’s best!
Bacon Jalapeño Mac n’ Cheese
- 1 lb pasta (I used Rotini)
- 1/2 lb bacon (I used Cherry wood smoked bacon)
- 1-2 jalapenos diced
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk (whole milk)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Panko Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a skillet cook bacon until crispy and let drain on paper towels. When cooled chop into pieces. (Set aside a little for the topping)
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and set aside
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and saute jalapeno just until soft. Add flour and whisk together for about 30 seconds to cook the flour a bit. Add milk and whisk until all clumps are out and sauce thickens 3-4 minutes. Whisk in the cream cheese until melted. Turn off heat and add shredded cheese whisk until combined. Add chopped bacon, and cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and combine.
- Pour mac n cheese into a baking dish, and top with panko crumbs and extra bacon.
- In a skillet on medium heat melt butter, add panko crumbs and
- cook until bread crumbs become golden brown. About 3-4 minutes. Set aside.