This clam chowder is comforting, filling and amazingly delicious! And is perfect anytime of year.
This Thick and Creamy New England Clam Chowder is full of flavor and loaded with tender potatoes, sweet clams, and smoky bacon. So if your a clam chowdah lovah like my family is you definitely need this recipe in your life.
I never realized clam chowder was so easy to make from home. Besides the clams and clam juice everything else is simple pantry ingredients. This recipe is extremely close to my Loaded Potato Soup recipe which is also super creamy and comforting.
I have to admit I had never really had clam chowder before, until a couple years ago I guess I was afraid of the clams. This clam chowder is so delicious, it truly won me over from the first bite! Now I prefer to use frozen clams only because I think they have more clam flavor, but you can use canned whole clams instead
You can usually find frozen clam in the fish/seafood section of your local grocery store. The clam juice is in the canned tuna section.
- 6 slices smoked bacon cut into pieces
- 3 8 oz jars clam juice
- ¾ cup water
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup flour
- 1½ lb red potatoes about 4-5 peeled and diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 10 ounce pkg frozen clams or 2 cans whole clams (10 ounces each)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottom pot cook bacon and remove to a paper towel
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat and add celery and onions and cook until softened about 5-6 minutes, add garlic cook another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add flour to veggies and cook a couple minutes using a whisk to stir.
- Pour in clam juice and water, whisk until smooth. Add potatoes, bay leaf and thyme and bring to a low boil and cook 15 minutes until potatoes are just getting tender
- Add milk, cream, and clams simmer another 15 minutes until thickened
- Sat and pepper to taste
- Garnish with bacon pieces and fresh parsley
- *note you can substitute 2 cans whole clams plus juice or 3 cans chopped clams plus juice