Crowd pleasing slow cooker honey sriracha chicken meatballs are the perfect appetizer. I am a sucker for a great meatball and I really like the different flavors you can get to come through using ground chicken. These little babies are the perfect finger foods. Of course using the slow cooker makes this a no fuss meal, great for parties because they can stay warm until served.
Chicken is always a great alternative to beef meatballs, and the sweet and spicy sauce adds lots of flavor. You could use turkey if you like but I prefer ground chicken. And even though they taste like an indulgence its leaner then beef so of course they are more healthy for you.
Browning them first in a hot pan then putting them in the slow cooker not only gives them a little color but helps them keep their shape and not stick together while cooking.
Add half the sauce to the slow cooker and save the other half for a dipping sauce.
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- Honey Sriracha Sauce
- 2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons Sriracha or more if you want more heat
- ⅔ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons corn starch plus 3 tablespoons water
- In a small-medium sauce pan, combine the 1 cup of water, sriracha, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and honey and stir. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Whisk together the 2 tablespoons corn starch and remaining 2 tablespoons of water until dissolved. Add to sauce pan and stir until bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat and set aside
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, garlic, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, cilantro and salt. Form into 1" balls (approx. 40). Set aside on a baking sheet.
- Heat a saute pan on medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and brown the meatballs for 1-2 minutes rolling them in the pan. Then place them in slow cooker.
- Pour ½ of the honey sriracha sauce over meatballs. Set the rest aside for later. Cook on high 2 hours.