Roasted garlic mashed potatoes are super creamy and loaded with sweet bits of garlic.
Potatoes are huge in our house, we eat them a few times a week. Creamy garlic mashed potatoes are of course the family favorite. I mean they go with every protein possible right? So why not!
These potatoes will quickly become a side dish favorite! Buttery and creamy and the sweet garlic just takes them to a new level.
How to roast garlic
- First cut off the top of the garlic and place on a piece of foil.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap foil tightly around the garlic bulb.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove garlic from foil and let cool. Once cooled squeeze garlic from the bottom and the garlic should slide right out.
- Using a knife smash the garlic until it becomes a paste.
- Add to the potatoes.
How to make perfect mashed potatoes
- Chop your potatoes into equal chunks to ensure they cook evenly.
- Place in a pot and fill with water, and add 2 teaspoons salt.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook until fork tender about 20 minutes.
- Drain in a colander, and scoop potatoes into a potato ricer, squeeze into a bowl and repeat until you have riced all the potatoes.
- Add milk and butter to a microwave safe bowl and heat on medium until butter is melted and milk is warm.
- Pour into potatoes, add cream cheese, garlic and salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- You can also put the drained potatoes in the pot and use a potato masher, or hand mixer if you prefer.
What should I serve with roasted garlic mashed potatoes?
- Crispy Chicken Cutlets
- Brined Herb Chicken Breasts
- Crispy Skillet Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken
- Spicy Fried Chicken
- 1 head garlic, top cut off
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 cube butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup warm milk
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle top of garlic head with olive oil and wrap in tin foil and place in a small baking pan. Roast garlic at 400F 1 hour until garlic cloves are very soft. Unwrap from foil and let set until cool. Then squeeze the garlic out of the skins. Set aside.
- While garlic is roasting, peel potatoes and cut into chunks. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and cover. Let potatoes simmer until tender.
- Drain water from potatoes and place potatoes back into pot. Place a cube of butter in the pot to melt.
- In a pyrex measuring cup or small bowl heat the milk in a microwave for 30 seconds or just until warm.
- Scoop potatoes into a potato ricer, squeeze into a bowl and repeat until you have riced all of the potatoes.
- Add in your cream cheese, garlic, warmed milk and butter. Whisk until creamy.
- Top with minced chives or parsley.
Amount Per Serving Calories 316 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 17mg Sodium 139mg Carbohydrates 58g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 6g Sugar 3g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 8g