This sweet and sour chicken is so amazingly delicious! Next time you crave Chinese food skip the take-out, and give this much healthier recipe a try. The chicken is so tender with veggies and a saucy coating served over some yummy rice. I guarantee it will be devoured in no time, but if there is anything left over it makes an amazing lunch the next day.
Feel free to double the sauce recipe to have some extra sauce to pour over the rice. I am not a pineapple fan so I left it out, but if you want to add it go for it! This is definitely a recipe your whole family will enjoy.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 6 oz can pineapple drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 green onions
- sesame seeds (optional)
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp chili oil or red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Cut peppers and onions into large chunks set aside.
- In separate bowls place the cornstarch and whisked eggs. Dip chicken into cornstarch then toss in the egg mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches place chicken in hot oil and cook just until browned. Place browned chicken pieces on a baking sheet with peppers and onions.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, ketchup, garlic, vinegar, cornstarch, and soy sauce. Pour over chicken toss until well coated and bake for 40 minutes or until veggies are the desired softness. Serve with white rice. Serves 4-6
- Note Feel free to double the sauce recipe if you like extra sauce
Amount Per Serving Calories 654Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 161mgSodium 337mgCarbohydrates 95gFiber 5gSugar 53gProtein 31g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.