This In-N-Out burger copycat version is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner! Juicy beef patty smothered in ooey gooey cheese, secret sauce, tomato, lettuce, and onion on a toasted bun.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
These copycat In-N-Out cheeseburgers are simply amazing! We don't eat fast food much at all but if we do In-N-Out is our go-to place. Let's not forget about that sweet and tangy sauce, each bite sends your taste buds into overdrive. No need for ketchup for the fries when you have this amazing sauce to dunk them in. If you prefer a grilled burger try my Pepper Jack Burger.
Why this recipe works
I'm not sure why such a simple burger can taste so amazing, and this secret sauce is spot on. These are so close to the real thing you have to give it a try. The burgers are extremely simple to make like my Skillet Burger and easy Smash Burgers. Just some salt and pepper and a spread of mustard then cooked on a hot skillet to form an amazing crust.
Ingredients needed for this In-n-Out Burger
- Hamburger: Use 80/20 ground beef for the best flavor
- Cheese: Real American cheese from the deli
- Hamburger Buns: Buttered and toasted
- Onion: Sweet onion
- Mustard: Simple yellow mustard
- Mayonnaise: Use really mayo.
how to make this copycat In N Out burger
- Step 1: Divide and form the meat into 8 equal parts and flatten them into thin patties, and add salt and pepper on top.
- Step 2: Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the buns to toast, set aside.
- Step 3: Place the patty into the skillet.
- Step 4: Spread mustard on the top and a little more salt and pepper.
- Step 5: Flip the patty and place a slice of cheese on top.
- Step 6: Cover the skillet so the cheese melts.
- Step 7: Add some special sauce to the bottom bun.
- Step 8: Add the slice of tomato and onion slice.
- Step 9: Place some iceberg lettuce on top.
- Step 10: Add the burger patty with melted cheese, followed by the top bun.
- I recommend using a cast iron skillet or aluminum skillet for the best sear on the burgers you can also use a flat griddle.
- The recipe makes 8 single burgers or 4 doubles but it can easily be cut in half.
If you haven't heard in-n-out restaurant is a delicious fast-food chain primarily on the west coast. They use fresh simple ingredients prepped daily, and make each burger one at a time.
It's one of the options on their secret menu, like double double animal style. Onions are cooked down in a skillet and then caramelized onions are added to a burger to make it animal-style.
This in-n-out cheeseburger is best made fresh but I will prep the beef patties and place them on parchment paper in an airtight container and make the rest the next day. The in-n-out sauce can be made ahead and stored in a container in the refrigerator.
Adding the mustard on one side is an In-n- out trick to get that unique crust. Don't worry the mustard cooks and you don't taste it.
Copycat In-N-Out Burger
- 1 pound ground beef 80/20
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons mustard
- 8 slices American cheese
- 1 large beefsteak tomato
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 large onion cut into slices
- 8 hamburger buns
For the special sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- Form meat into eight patties on a piece of parchment paper then cut a square around each patty, this helps place the patty into the hot skillet. You want the patties thin and slightly larger than the size of your bun. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let come to room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, and relish in a small bowl
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat add 1/2 teaspoon oil and place your buns split side down in the heated pan, cook until toasted about 1 minute. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Pick up a patty and place the salt and pepper side down into the hot skillet, then pull off the parchment paper. Cook without moving until well browned and crusty on the first side, about 2½ minutes. While they are cooking, spread 2 teaspoons of mustard on the raw side. Then flip and top each side with 2 slices of cheese continue cooking for 1 more minute.
- Spread sauce on the bottom toasted bun, place tomato, onion, and lettuce then patty with melted cheese add the top bun and serve.