Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta is an easy hearty dish with a creamy sauce that the whole family will love.
Tender chicken, sausages, pasta, and fresh veggies all in a creamy sauce. A quick and easy weeknight meal that my family loves!
Ingredients needed for this recipe
Pasta- And pasta will work, I just recommend it be cooked to al dente.
Chicken- Either skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs will work.
Cajun seasoning- Creole seasoning will also work.
Smoked sausage- Spicy, smoked, or even andouille sausage is great in this recipe.
Bell peppers- I use both red bell pepper and green bell pepper but you can stick with one if you prefer.
Onion-Yellow onion is what I use.
Parmesan cheese- use freshly grated not the stuff from the green can.
How to make this recipe
Step 1-Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the sliced smoked sausages and brown. Remove to a plate.
Step 2-Season chicken then, add in with the peppers and onions and cook until no longer pink.
Step3- Add the sausages back in with the garlic.
Step 4-Add in the half n half.
Step 5-Whisk in the parmesan cheese.
Step 6-Toss in the cooked pasta into the cream sauce.
Why this recipe works
I live for quick and easy weeknight dinners like my Taco Pasta Skillet. The chicken and sausage pasta recipe is a comforting dish and always a huge hit around here. This particular dish is ready in under 30 minutes has a creamy cajun sauce, and is loaded with delicious flavors.
- I used chicken tenders, but you can really use any cut of chicken you prefer.
- Any kind of smoked sausage works well in the dish. Some have a little more kick than others.
- I usually use Penne pasta, but you can use 8 oz of whatever you have on hand really.
- If you don't have any half-and-half on hand, you can do a 50/50 ratio of whole milk and heavy whipping cream.
Cajun flavors can have a bit of a kick. I recommend tasting as you go, you can always add more cajun spices toward the end.
This is one pasta dish that tastes better the next day. But the sauce will have soaked into the pasta and won't be as creamy. You can make the sauce and pasta and then just warm the sauce and toss in the pasta right before serving.
Yes, use a gluten-free pasta like this one it is mild in flavor and chewy texture and is a good substitute for most pasta dishes.
Place any leftovers in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This is a dish that can be served all on its own. but if you would like a side my No Knead Artisan Bread is easy and delicious.
More Pasta dishes
- 8 oz Penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (or more if desired)
- 1 ½ lbs chicken, diced
- 3 smoked sausage links cut into slices
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ½ cups half and half
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions until it's al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl toss the diced chicken with the Cajun seasoning.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add diced chicken, peppers, and onions. Cook until chicken is no longer pink about 7-8 minutes.
- Add in sliced sausage and garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the half and half. Mix and let it come to a low simmer. Stir in parmesan cheese and mix until combined.
- Add in the pasta and mix everything together.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and more parmesan cheese if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 667Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 177mgSodium 1317mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 42g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.