Creamy Chicken Pasta is a dinner the whole family will love, pasta in a creamy garlic sauce with tender chicken can be on the table in 30 minutes.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
The delicious creamy sauce, is seasoned to perfection, bringing out the richness of the dish while creating a satisfying and comforting meal. The sauce is super creamy with lots of garlic and is a delicious choice that will leave you craving more like my Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta and Cajun Chicken Pasta. Whether you're looking for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or an impressive dish for a dinner party, creamy chicken pasta is sure to please!
Why this recipe works
Using simple pantry ingredients this chicken pasta is delicious comfort food everybody will devour. Serve it with a side salad and some of my Ciabatta Garlic Bread for a satisfying meal quick enough for those busy weeknights.
Ingredients needed for this creamy pasta dish
- Pasta: You can use any kind of pasta, although I recommend a short-cut pasta like pasta shells or penne pasta to hold that creamy pasta sauce.
- Chicken: I typically use boneless skinless chicken breasts but chicken tenders or boneless chicken thighs will also work.
- Parmesan cheese: Use freshly grated parmesan cheese from your deli, not the stuff in the green can.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves is best for this recipe, but minced garlic in the jar will also work.
- Butter: I always use unsalted butter to help control the sodium levels.
- Cayenne pepper: You can also use red pepper flakes but both are optional.
- Chicken broth: I like to use low sodium.
How to make this creamy garlic chicken pasta
- Step 1: Place the chicken breast on a cutting board and slice the breast in half lengthwise.
- Step 2: Place a piece of plastic wrap over your chicken and using a mallet or rolling pin pound out the chicken breasts to about 1/2 inch thick
- Step 3: You want to ensure they are all the same thickness for even cooking.
- Step 4: In a shallow bowl or plate add the flour and spices and mix.
- Step 5: Dredge the chicken breast into the flour mixture until coated.
- Step 6: Place the coated chicken on a plate or cutting board.
- Step 7: Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat with olive oil and place the chicken in the skillet.
- Step 8: Flip the chicken and cook until golden brown and done, and remove to a plate.
- Step 9: Add in the butter, diced onions, and garlic and saute.
- Step 10: Add in the chicken stock and Italian seasoning.
- Step 11: Whisk in the cream and parmesan cheese.
- Step 12: Fold in the cooked pasta, slice the chicken and place on top, and serve.
- Slice and pound out your chicken breasts to even thicknesses this will ensure even cooking and a juicy chicken breast.
- Optional additions: Feel free to add vegetables like spinach, mushrooms, or roasted bell peppers to the dish for added texture and flavor. You can also add some sun-dried tomatoes and herbs, such as fresh parsley or fresh basil, on top for garnish.
You can use whole milk instead of heavy cream, the sauce will be thinner. You can add in an extra tablespoon of flour to help thicken the sauce.
No, you can also use chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken thighs. But be aware the cooking times may vary.
Creamy Chicken Pasta
- 8 ounces Rotini pasta
- 1/3 cup All purpose flour + 1 1/2 tablespoons divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/3 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Cook pasta al dente according to the pkg directions
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and slice the chicken breast in half lengthwise until you have 2 halves.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on top and using a mallet or rolling pin pound out the chicken until 1/2 inches thick.
- In a shallow bowl or plate add the 1/3 cup flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne and mix until combined.
- Dredge the chicken breast into the flour mixture until well coated and place on a plate or cutting board, repeat until all the chicken is done.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Place the chicken breast into the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook another 3-4 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 164 degrees. Remove to a plate to rest.
- Add the butter to the skillet and let melt a bit then add in the diced onions cook for 2-3 minutes until soft then add in the minced garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and cook for another minute.
- Whisk in the chicken stock and Italian seasoning until smooth.
- Add in the heavy cream and let simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the parmesan cheese until melted.
- Fold in the cooked pasta until well coated and add more salt and pepper if needed. Slice the rested chicken breasts and place on top of the pasta. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.