Creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese is a classic, and perfect any night of the week.
This macaroni and cheese is super creamy, with just a few seasonings and comes together super fast. I mean who can deny a creamy bowl of comfort food? I know I cant!
This is a dish to satisfy both young and old and is seriously life changing!
Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese tips
- Cook your pasta al dente, it will cook a tad more in the cheese sauce.
- Make sure all your ingredients are measured and ready to go.
- Grate your cheese by hand. Pre shredded cheese is coated with starches and doesn’t melt as well.
- Cube you American cheese up into small pieces.
- I use sharp cheddar cheese for the best flavor.
What should I serve with macaroni and cheese?
- Oven Baked BBQ Ribs
- Pan Seared Garlic Rib Eye Steak
- Brined Herb Chicken Breasts
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich
- Spicy Fried Chicken
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Grilled Skirt Steak
- Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hotdogs
Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 ounces dry pasta I used elbow noodles
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups half n half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese I used sharp
- 1/2 cup American cheese the kind from the Deli
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according the the al dente directions
- Heat a skillet or pot on medium low heat. Add the butter and whisk until melted, add in the flour and whisk until combined.
- Slowly whisk in the milk a little at a time. Once all the half and half is whisked in reduce heat to low and let simmer just until thickened.
- Whisk in the mustard, garlic powder, cayenne, until combined.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheeses and whisk until melted.
- Add in cooked pasta