Creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese is a classic and can be on the table in 30 minutes any night of the week. Combining two different cheeses creates the richest, creamiest pasta dish!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This macaroni and cheese is super creamy, with just a few simple ingredients, like my Southern Macaroni and Cheese with Smoked Sausages and comes together super fast. I mean who can deny a creamy bowl of comfort food? I know I can't!
This is an easy homemade mac and cheese to satisfy both young and old and is seriously life-changing! If you like a little heat in your mac n cheese you've got to try my Bacon Jalapeno Mac n Cheese! Or switch it up with my Pulled Pork Mac n Cheese.
Let's take a quick look at the ingredients
• Elbow Pasta
• All-Purpose flour
• Half n half
• Ground mustard powder
• Garlic powder
• Cayenne Powder
• American Cheese
• Cheddar Cheese
Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese tips
1. Any short pasta will work for this.
2. Salt your pasta water.
3. Cook your pasta al dente, it will cook a tad more in the cheese sauce.
4. Have all your ingredients ready and measured, make sure all your ingredients are measured and ready to go.
5. Grate your own cheese by hand Pre shredded cheese is coated with starches and doesn't melt as well.
6. Cube your American cheese up into small pieces.
What are the best kinds of cheese to use?
I prefer a good sharp cheddar cheese. But you can always switch things up and use a combination of good melting cheese like mozzarella, gruyere cheese, or even pepper jack.
Stovetop mac and cheese vs baked Mac and cheese
Any form of mac and cheese is delicious in my opinion. The stovetop version has an unbelievably thick and creamy sauce and comes together much faster. The baked macaroni version has a delicious crust on top.
Do I need to use American cheese?
This macaroni and cheese are delicious with just cheddar cheese but the addition of American cheese makes it super creamy and adds silkiness to the dish. You could also use cream cheese.
Macaroni and cheese add-ins!
Smoked sausage links
How to store and reheat Mac and cheese
Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stovetop on low or in the microwave until heated through, and add a splash of milk. if it seems to dry.
What can I serve with this?
Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 10 ounces dry pasta I used elbow noodles
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups half n half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese I used sharp
- 1/2 cup American cheese the kind from the Deli
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according the the al dente directions
- Heat a skillet or pot on medium low heat. Add the butter and whisk until melted, add in the flour and whisk until combined.
- Slowly whisk in the milk a little at a time. Once all the half and half is whisked in reduce heat to low and let simmer just until thickened.
- Whisk in the mustard, garlic powder, cayenne, until combined.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheeses and whisk until melted.
- Add in cooked pasta
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!