Chicken fried rice is hearty and flavorful and a perfect weeknight dinner!
Who doesn’t love Chicken Fried Rice? Its a popular item on the menu at Chinese Food Restaurants. But its pretty easy to make at home, and much healthier. After trying this you’ll never go back to takeout again.
You can use fresh or frozen veggies and even left over chicken. The ingredients are pretty common to have on hand, and it’s a quick and easy meal to put together. If I don’t have any left over rice, I just make some up in my rice cooker and then chill it for a bit so it gets a little hard.
How to make chicken fried rice!
- Heat butter in a skillet add eggs and cook until scrambled. Set aside
- Add olive oil to skillet, add chicken and salt and pepper and cook 8 minutes, or until done. And set aside
- Add the remaining butter and add carrots and onions and cook just until soft about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add in the rice, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil and stir until combined. Fry the rice for 3-5 minutes.
- Add back in the cooked chicken and scrambled egg and mix until combined.
What goes with chicken fried rice?
This is definitely a recipe you need to have on hand, super quick and easy to throw together.
Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 cups cooked and chilled rice
- 3 eggs whisked
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 5 chicken tenders cooked and diced
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce optional
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in skillet add egg and cook until scrampled. Set aside
- Add an additional tbsp of butter to skillet add carrots, onions, peas and garlic. Saute until onions and carrots are soft about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to med high and add the cold rice. Add soy sauce, terriyaki sauce and stir until combined. Fry for 3-5 minutes add egg and green onions.
*Sometimes when I dont have leftover rice I will just make it in the morning and refrigerate it, it turns out fine.