These Heart Shaped Cherry Hand Pies are exactly what you need for your special someone this Valentine’s Day.
These Heart Shaped Cherry Hand Pies are really simple. Heart-shaped with a buttery flaky crust and filled with cherry pie filling. They are perfect for Valentine's Day or any special occasion.
I have never been a huge lover of pie, I don't know why really. I don't seem to care for the abundance of fruit filling in pies. But these hand pies have the perfect ratio of crust to fruit in my opinion. So needless to say I have been gobbling them up
These pies can be made in advance and served at room temperature or warmed in the oven. If you're looking for more pie recipes, check out my Apple Pie Turnovers.
Brushing the heart with egg wash helps the top pie crust seal when you crimp it with the fork.
One heaping teaspoon of cherry filling is just about perfect for the hand pies. Some may come out the edges when you crimp it with the fork but that's okay.
Crimping the edges with a fork helps to prevent the cherry filling from oozing out.
Topping these pies off with some Sparkling Sugar, gives them the perfect added sweetness.
- 2 prepared Pillsbury pastry pie crusts
- 1 1/4 cup cherry pie filling
- 1 egg beaten
- Sparkling Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a pie crust on a well floured surface gently roll out any creases. Using a 3-inch heart shaped cookie cutter, cut 13 hearts out. Re-roll the pie crust scraps into 1/8-inch thickness and cut 3-4 more hearts. repeat with the second pie crust, you should have a total of 32-36 hearts. Transfer half the hearts to a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl whisk egg, brush egg wash over hearts on baking sheet.
- Place a teaspoon of the cherry mixture in the center of each heart (about 2-3 cherries each)
- Place the remaining hearts on top of the cherry filled heart. Gently press the edges
- Using a fork crimp the edges to seal. Its okay if some filling falls out.
- Brush the top of the hearts with more egg wash. Sprinkle generously with sugar. Using a paring knife, cut two small slits in each heart.
- Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown
Serving Size2 pies
Amount Per Serving Calories 224Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 34mgSodium 177mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 4g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.