Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup has everything you love about a cheeseburger- creamy cheesy goodness, ground beef, and bacon with some veggies all crafted together in the slow cooker.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you! Read our disclosure policy here.
Being able to have this cook all day so it's ready for dinner while I get other things done and have the house smelling so tasty, is always a good thing for me. If you're looking for more recipes like that, try this Slow Cooker Taco Soup or this Slow Cooker Sausage and Three Bean Soup.
Why This Hearty Soup Recipe Works
It has the flavor of a classic cheeseburger but in a warm, comforting soup.
The ingredients are simple and can already be found in most pantries making this an economical and convenient meal to make any night like this Chicken Corn Chowder.
Make a large batch of this creamy cheesy soup and freeze some of it to have on hand for another meal later on- perfect when in a pinch on busy days.
Ingredients for Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- Protein: You need bacon and lean ground beef. Ground beef could be swapped for ground turkey and bacon could be swapped for turkey bacon.
- Vegetables: Diced onion, minced carrots, and diced celery.
- Potatoes: Use Russet potatoes. They're thick and starchy and hold up well when cooked for a longer period of time. They also absorb flavors easily, making them ideal for a good soup recipe.
- Chicken stock: I suggest a low-sodium version if possible.
- Herbs and spices: Dried basil, minced garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, and fresh parsley.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is a thickening agent.
- Dairy: Milk, cream cheese and Velveeta cheese bring all the creamy cheesy goodness to this great recipe.
How to Make Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
- Step 1: In a large saucepan, add the ground beef and cook until brown.
- Step 2: Add the cooked ground beef, onions, carrots, celery, basil, and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Step 3: Just before the soup is finished, make a roux in a small saucepan. Melt the butter and then whisk in the flour. Let it cook and then whisk in the milk, cream, salt, and pepper before you let it simmer until it's nice and thick.
- Step 4: Carefully add the roux from the saucepan to the crockpot with the Velvetta cheese cubes. Stir and let the cheese melt. Serve the Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Soup with crispy bacon pieces, diced onion, and garlic as garnish.
- Always drain excess grease from the ground beef and bacon when you're finished cooking them before adding them to your soup.
- Other garnishes that would go well with this delicious soup recipe are sour cream, dill pickles, diced green onions, or sharp cheddar cheese.
- Serve this hamburger soup with some crusty bread for the perfect soup on a cold winter day.
- When chopping potatoes and other veggies, make them a consistent size and not too large of chunks so they all cook uniformly.
While some people may not want to use the Velvetta, it melts well, especially in comparison to any pre-shredded cheese you may try to use. Preshredded cheese contains ingredients like natamycin and potato starch that help prevent it from melting and sticking together in the bag.
If you don't have russet potatoes, red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes would be delicious in this soup. They seem to hold together well in other Slow Cooker recipes
This Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container. To reheat, place leftovers in a pot and simmer on low heat until heated through. Add a bit of milk or cream to help thin out the soup if it has gotten too thick from sitting.
Yes, Brown the bacon and beef in a large pot as directed. Drain the fat add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low for 45 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. add in the cheese and rox and simmer another 30 minutes on low until thickened. Stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup carrots minced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups russet potatoes diced
- 3 cups chicken stock low sodium
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces velvetta cheese cut into cubes
- Fresh parsley, diced onion optional for garnish
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add the chopped bacon, cook until crispy and remove to a paper towel to drain.
- In the same large skillet on medium high heat add the ground beef and brown, drain and add the beef to the slow cooker.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, basil, and garlic, potatoes, chicken stock to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- 1 hour before the soup is done make the roux heat a small saucepan on medium heat and add the butter once melted whisk in the flour and cook 30 seconds. Whisk in the milk, cream cheese salt and pepper, let simmer until thickened.
- Add the roux to the slow cooker along with the cubed velvetta cheese, stir and let melt.
- Serve and top with crispy bacon, diced onions, and parsley.