Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup is total comfort food, thick and creamy and unbelievably good!
You're going to be amazed at how easy this Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup is to make at home like my Copycat In N Out Burger. Creamy, cheesy, and loaded with broccoli. It comes together fast which makes it perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
This is always such a huge hit it never lasts long. Sometimes a make a double batch to heat and eat during the week, or freeze for another meal.
Tips for making copycat Panera broccoli cheese soup
I use chicken broth/stock in this recipe but you could keep it vegetarian and use vegetable broth.
I use whole milk and heavy cream, but you could use half n half if you want.
Always shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheeses contain potato starch and don't melt as nicely.
I chop my broccoli in tiny florets, but if you like them larger go for it.
Sometimes I make a double batch and freeze it in these soup containers for quick meals in a pinch.
This soup has the best consistency and so much flavor. You'll be eating it right out of the pot. I love it with some toasted bread slices to scoop up all that deliciousness!
Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut small
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add in onions, celery, carrots, and garlic cook to soften about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add in chicken stock, milk, heavy cream, and broccoli and whisk until combined. Simmer on medium-low until thickened about 8-10 minutes.
- Once thickened turn off the heat and add in the cheese and nutmeg. Whisk until melted and smooth.
- Serve with crispy bread slices or crackers.