Slow-cooker Sausage Three-Bean Soup is an all-time favorite in our home. Everything is dumped into the slow cooker and left to cook for several hours.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
If you are looking for an extra cozy meal, this slow-cooker three-bean soup is what you need! It is full of flavor and great for cooler weather like my Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup. The best part of this crockpot recipe is that you need very little prep to make it. This has to be one of my favorite slow-cooker meals!
- Sausage: I use smoked beef sausage but any smoked sausage will work.
- Beans: You can really use any combination of beans.
- Paprika- Regular or smoked paprika works great.
How to make slow cooker sausage bean soup
If you are looking for a super simple soup to make, you’ve found the right recipe. This recipe is so easy, you’ll wonder why you’ve never made it before. Follow the simple steps below!
- Step 1: Place all the ingredients except for the parsley into your slow cooker.
- Step 2: Depending on what time you want to eat, you can turn the slow cooker on low for 4 to 6 hours OR on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Cook the soup on low all day. Allowing the soup to cook on low brings out a more flavorful soup.
- Add more meat. More meat will make this dish even heartier.
- If you want some greens added, you can throw in some kale to make this soup delicious and nutritious.
Absolutely! In fact, I think this slow-cooker sausage bean soup makes a perfect freezer meal option. Before storing it in the freezer, allow the soup to cool. Pour it into a freezer bag, and place it in the freezer. You can freeze it for up to 3 months.
This recipe calls for 3 types of beans: Great Northern beans, Cannellini beans, and red kidney beans. If you don’t like one type of bean, you can substitute it for beans you do like. For example, you could use black beans, navy beans, or garbanzo beans if you choose.
Yes, you can! It's just as simple to make on the stovetop, you just have to watch it more than if you made it in your slow cooker or crockpot. I suggest using a large Dutch oven. Bring to a soft boil, and reduce the heat and allow to simmer for at least 1 hour. Be sure to stir it a few times while it's cooking.
For this slow cooker sausage bean soup, you will want to use smoked sausage. I typically just grab a package of Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage, but you can use whichever kind you prefer.
Slow Cooker Sausage Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion dice
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces smoked sausage diced
- 1 15 oz can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can small red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- Place all the ingredients except the parsley into the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and a slice of cornbread or garlic bread.