A relatively healthy soup, loaded with veggies, sausage, beef, beans and pasta all in a rich tomato broth. Basically a whole meal in one bowl!
This soup warms you to your soul, and is perfect for those cold winter nights. Add a side of buttery, crispy garlic bread and your in food heaven!
What is pasta e fagioli?
Pasta E Fagioli simple means “pasta and beans” its a hearty Italian soup with easy to find ingredients. Sometimes this soup is referred to as “Pasta Fazool” It typically includes Italian Sausage and or ground beef, beans, and short pasta in a tomato broth. I like to use a dry red wine to enhance the richness of the soup.
Can you freeze Pasta e Fagioli?
There is nothing better than being able to pull a soup out of the freezer for a quick lunch or weeknight meal. This soup freezes beautifully except the pasta. I always freeze this soup and add the pasta right before serving.
Looking for more hearty soups?
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup
- Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
- Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- New England Clam Chowder
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (20oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15oz) can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- In a medium pot with boiling water cook pasta to al dente according to the pkg directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot add olive oil, onion, celery and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in sausage and ground beef and cook until browned about 3-5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Add in garlic, red pepper, salt, black pepper, stir and cook 30 seconds.
- Add in chicken stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, red wine, sugar and dried herbs. Stir and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add in beans, cooked pasta, parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Serve immediately!
Amount Per Serving Calories 597Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 67mgSodium 1884mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 10gSugar 14gProtein 35g