Pasta e Fagioli soup is no-fuss recipe that makes a hearty and comforting weeknight meal.
A relatively healthy soup, loaded with veggies, sausage, beef, beans, and pasta all in a rich tomato broth. Basically a whole meal in one bowl!
This soup warms you to your soul and is perfect for those cold winter nights. Add a side of buttery, crispy garlic bread and you're in food heaven!
What is pasta e fagioli?
Pasta E Fagioli simply means "pasta and beans" it's a hearty Italian soup with easy-to-find ingredients. Sometimes this soup is referred to as "Pasta Fazool" It typically includes Italian Sausage and or ground beef, beans, and short pasta in a tomato broth. I like to use dry red wine to enhance the richness of the soup.
Can you freeze Pasta e Fagioli?
There is nothing better than being able to pull a soup out of the freezer for a quick lunch or weeknight meal. This soup freezes beautifully except for the pasta. I always freeze this soup and add the pasta right before serving.
Are you looking for more hearty soups?
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup
- Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
- Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- New England Clam Chowder
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (20oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15oz) can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- In a medium pot with boiling water cook pasta to al dente according to the pkg directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot add olive oil, onion, celery and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in sausage and ground beef and cook until browned about 3-5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Add in garlic, red pepper, salt, black pepper, stir and cook 30 seconds.
- Add in chicken stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, red wine, sugar and dried herbs. Stir and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add in beans, cooked pasta, parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Serve immediately!
No alcohol- Just add chicken stock instead
Amount Per Serving Calories 597Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 67mgSodium 1884mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 10gSugar 14gProtein 35g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.