Easy breakfast casserole is made with hash browns, sausage, bacon, eggs and cheese!
This casserole is packed with all the breakfast goodness you can imagine. Definitely the ultimate morning breakfast to feed a hungry family
Perfect casserole for a weekend or Holiday breakfast. Throw all your ingredients into a skillet and let the oven do the work.
Tips for making breakfast casserole:
- I use a smoky thick cut bacon for the casserole.
- I use a cast iron skillet, but any oven safe skillet or 9×13 baking dish will work.
- When you put the hash browns into the skillet it will look like a a lot, but they will shrink down a bit after baking.
- Use a combo of whatever cheeses you like. I love the flavors of pepper jack and cheddar together.
- You could substitute diced ham for the bacon or sausage.
- This can be made the night before but the hash browns wont be crispy, but still delicious.
Looking for more breakfast recipes?
- Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Crescent Roll Ups
- Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole
- Loaded Breakfast Burrito
- Buttermilk Biscuits with Honey Butter
- 8 slices bacon cut into chunks
- 3/4 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup diced red peppers
- 1 30 oz pkg frozen shredded hash browns
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/teaspoon garlic powder
- Green onions or chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat a large oven safe skillet on medium heat and add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove to a paper towel and set aside.
- Add sausage, onions and red peppers to skillet and cook until done about 8-10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons grease from skillet and add frozen hash browns, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes if desired. (See note if cooking in a baking dish)
- Pour the melted butter over the hash browns and bake for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs, milk and garlic powder until combined.
- Remove potatoes from oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Add 1/2 of the cheese. Followed by the sausage, onions and peppers. then pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Place on the middle rack and bake for 30-35 minutes minutes. (Just when the center is starting to set up and isn't wobbly) Remove the casserole and add the remaining cheese and sprinkle bacon and return to the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced green onions or chives
You can use a 9x13 baking dish instead of a skillet. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add hash browns and butter and bake for 20 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and follow recipe directions as follows.
Amount Per Serving Calories 800Total Fat 59gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 33gCholesterol 293mgSodium 1816mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 33g