Easy Breakfast Casserole is hearty, loaded with hash browns, sausage, bacon, eggs, and cheese! Perfect make-ahead holiday or weekend breakfast everybody will devour!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you! Read our disclosure policy here.
This casserole is packed with all the breakfast goodness you can imagine. Definitely, the ultimate morning breakfast to feed a hungry family you will also love my Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole or my Blueberry French Toast Casserole. If you like grab-and-go breakfasts try my Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit, it's also perfect for the freezer like my Breakfast Quesadillas.
Why This Recipe Works
Hashbrown casserole is great for a holiday breakfast but simple enough to enjoy all year long like these Breakfast Sliders or Steak and Potato Breakfast Hash. This easy hashbrowns breakfast casserole is easy to customize so your entire family will love it.
- Breakfast meat: bacon pieces and ground breakfast sausage. You can sub pork sausage for turkey sausage.
- Vegetables: onions, red peppers, and green onions or chives for garnish
- Frozen shredded hash browns: Thawed
- Herbs and spices: granulated garlic or garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cheese: shredded pepper jack cheese and shredded cheddar cheese
- Large eggs
- Milk: Whole milk or 2% is fine.
How to Make Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Step 1: In a large oven-safe skillet, add small pieces of bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Step 2: Add ground sausage, onions, and bell peppers to the large skillet to cook.
- Step 3: In a large bowl, add eggs and milk and whisk until combined.
- Step 4: Drain most of the grease from the skillet and add frozen hash browns and spices.
- Step 5: Add the cooked sausage, onions, peppers, and bacon to the pan with the hashbrowns.
- Step 6: Add shredded cheese on top. Pour on egg mixture and bake hash brown egg casserole. Add more cheese when the center is almost fully set. Bake so the cheese melts.
- Use thick-cut bacon for the casserole.
- Use an oven-safe skillet I love this cast-iron skillet, but any 12-inch oven-safe skillet or 9x13 baking dish will work. When you put the hash browns into the skillet it will look like a lot, but they will shrink down a bit after baking.
- If you don't have a lot of bacon grease, you can drizzle 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the hashbrowns.
- Use a combo of whatever cheeses you like. I love the flavors of pepper jack and cheddar together.
- Substitute diced ham for the bacon or sausage. Use whatever bell pepper you like- green, orange, yellow, or red bell pepper all work.
- Make it spicy by using the optional red pepper flakes and add hot sauce to the breakfast bake.
- Serve this delicious breakfast casserole with fresh fruit for a complete breakfast.
Yes, it can be assembled the day before and kept in the refrigerator until ready to bake. I recommend letting the overnight breakfast casserole come to room temperature for 30 minutes on the counter before baking.
Yes, it's perfect for freezing. Just prepare and bake as instructed let it cool completely place it in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat just place it on a baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
No problem! Just place everything in a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and drizzle 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the hash browns.
Easy Breakfast Casserole
- 8 slices bacon cut into chunks
- 3/4 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup diced red peppers
- 1 30 oz frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 3 cups cheese, shredded I use pepper jack and cheddar
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Green onions or chives for garnish
- More salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Heat a large 12-inch oven-safe skillet on medium heat and add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove to a paper towel and set aside.
- Add sausage, onions, and red peppers to the skillet and cook until done about 8-10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of grease from the skillet and add frozen hash browns, granulated garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if desired. (See note if cooking in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs, and milk, until combined.
- Add the sausage, onions, peppers, and bacon on top of the hashbrowns.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese on top. Pour egg mixture all over.
- Place on the middle rack and bake for 40-45 minutes. (Just when the center is starting to set up and isn't wobbly) Remove the casserole and add the remaining cheese and return to the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced green onions or chives.