Fried green tomato BLT sandwich is a classic comfort food sandwich, with a delicious twist.
BLT's are a staple in our house. I get excited for those summertime green tomatoes to switch things up a bit. Toasted bread, Smoky bacon, crispy coated fried green tomato, and lettuce. I like to add a slice or two of juicy ripe tomato and the most delicious sauce. How can you resist?
Are Fried Green Tomatoes Just Unripe?
Yes, these are tomatoes plucked from the vine before they have matured. Although there are some heirloom varieties that remain green even when they are ripe. You want to make sure you are choosing a firm tomato.
Helpful Tips For Making Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwich
- I like to use a thick cut smoky bacon.
- I use my 12 inch cast iron skillet. But any skillet will do for this.
- Add a little cayenne pepper for a little kick!
- Make sure you slice the tomatoes all the same width. (I recommend 1/4 inch thick)
- I like to add a ripe red tomato also. Because I LOVE them so much!
- I prefer cornmeal coating but you could use panko instead if you like. Either way, it's delicious!
- Dredge all your tomatoes in the coating and place them on a baking sheet. It just makes the frying process easier
More Southern Recipes!
- Easy Oven-Baked Ribs
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Garlic Brown Sugar Pork Chops
- Corn Pudding Casserole
- Banana Cream Pie
MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM,PINTEREST FOR ALL MY LATEST RECIPES.
Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwich
Fried green tomato BLT sandwich is a delicious twist on a classic.
- 12 slices thick cut bacon
- 3 large green tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices bread
- 2 Ripe tomatoes (if desired)
For The Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and cook bacon until desired crispiness. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Slice the green tomatoes about ¼ inch thickness.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs until combined. In another bowl add the flour and cayenne pepper and mix. In a third bowl add the cornmeal, salt, and pepper, and mix.
- Dunk each green tomato into the flour mixture, then dredge in the egg mixture, followed by the cornmeal. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet or plate. Repeat until all are coated.
- Heat oil in a skillet (I use cast iron)on medium heat. Cooking in batches add a few tomatoes in the hot oil cook 3-4 minutes then flip and cook 2-3 more minutes. Remove to a paper towel or cooling rack.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise and sriracha sauce together until combined.
- Toast bread and assemble the sandwich. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 903Total Fat 63gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 49gCholesterol 152mgSodium 1843mgCarbohydrates 59gFiber 7gSugar 14gProtein 26g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Leave a Reply