Banana Cream Pie is a dreamy dessert, with a delicious banana custard, buttery crust and sweet whipped topping.
This Old-Fashioned Banana Cream Pie is a family favorite. A creamy vanilla custard filling with fresh layered bananas topped with a fresh whipped cream and sprinkled with sliced almonds.
The hardest part about making this pie is waiting for it to chill. Everybody always wants to dig right in, so most of the time they settle for licking the custard pan. I’m so glad I got to share this recipe with you today, I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does.
I’ve never really had banana cream pie before a couple years ago, and boy have I been missing out. Now I make this several times a year.
If you have a go to pie crust, by all means use that. I was being lazy and had a couple Marie Callanders Pie Crusts in my freezer.
This pie is so loved in my family, and close behind it is my Rich and Creamy Chocolate Cream Pie. Both go perfectly with my Spicy Fried Chicken Drumsticks. So if your looking for that swoon-worthy dessert that’s perfect for any occasion, this is it.
Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie
- 1 Pre made pie crust I use Marie Callender's
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups half- and-half
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 bananas
- Sliced almonds for garnish
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Bake pie crust according to package directions and let cool
- In a medium sauce pan add the sugar, cornstarch, salt and whisk together. Heat on medium low heat and whisk in the half and half and the egg yolks until smooth. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, continue whisking until it thickens to the texture of a custard about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and butter. Let the mixture cool for a 10 minutes.
- Poor 1/4 of the filling into the pie shell. Add one sliced banana and then another layer of pie filling followed by another banana and then the rest of the pie filling.
- Cover with saran wrap and chill 4 hours
- Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or electric mixer whip the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla on highest speed until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- The pie is best served the same day
**You can substitute 2 cups of store bought whipped cream