Shredded Brussels Sprouts with bacon are a quick and easy side dish. It uses only a few ingredients, comes together in 20 minutes, and is always a huge hit!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This shredded brussels sprouts recipe is a favorite new savory side dish, seriously just give me a fork. It's a side dish that comes together super fast. Every bite is loaded with flavor, tossed with garlic, and topped with crispy, smoky bacon.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Bacon- I like to use smoky bacon-like applewood.
- Brussels sprouts- You can shred them yourself or buy the pre-shredded in a bag from the grocery store.
- Onion- I like to use a sweet onion for added flavor.
- Garlic clove-I like to use fresh minced garlic.
why this recipe works
This shredded Brussels sprouts recipe is a side dish that goes with just about any main dish. Brussels sprouts often get a bad rap but are absolutely delicious when cooked correctly. Whether sautéed or roasted like my Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts these tiny little cabbages are full of flavor. Shaved Brussels sprouts are the perfect side dish for a weeknight dinner, dinner party, or holiday meal.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1: Saute the bacon in a hot skillet, followed by the onions.
- Step 2: Rinse the brussels sprouts and remove any bad leaves.
- Step 3: Cut the ends off of the Brussels sprouts.
- Step 4: Shred each Brussels sprout thinly.
- Step 5: Add the thinly sliced shredded Brussels sprouts to the skillet.
- Step 6: Add in the cooked bacon and garlic.
- Shaved Brussels sprouts- You can do it by hand using a mandolin or a food processor.
- Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces first before frying.
- Add in some pine nuts for an extra nutty flavor.
Using a cutting board and a sharp knife cut the end of the sprouts off. Remove some of the outer leaves. Then cut each sprout in half. Laying the sprouts cut side down, carefully slice the sprouts into thin slices. You can also use a mandoline or a food processor with the slicer attachment.
Brussels sprouts stay freshest the longest when they are whole. But yes you can shred them and keep some in the fridge ready to go. I just recommend you use the shredded Brussels sprouts within 3 days for ideal freshness. If you want to skip the hassle of shredding you can check out my Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon.
Store these Brussels sprouts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
When cooked correctly brussels sprouts are delicious and not bitter. To me, it tastes very similar to cabbage with a crunchy texture.
Any combination of herbs like oregano, thyme, or rosemary. My favorite is parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts
- 6 slices bacon I used applewood
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a sharp knife cut the stem off the end of the brussels spouts. And carefully shred them as thin as possible.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Dice the bacon into pieces and cook just until crispy. Using tongs or a spider spoon remove to a paper towel leaving the reserved bacon grease.
- Add in the onions to the bacon grease and cook 2-3 minutes then add in the brussels sprouts and garlic, toss and cook for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm!