Chocolate Cream Pie is mind-blowing, a chocolate lover's dream! So easy you won't ever be tempted to get one from the grocery store again.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Why this recipe works
This chocolate pie is perfect anytime of the year and for any occasion. We serve it during the holiday season and even for a Fourth of July bbq.
It's basically a no-bake pie you're only pre-baking the pie crust a bit. No egg yolks are used in the recipe you just need an electric mixer and some chill time.
Ingredients for this recipe
Cream cheese: Make sure to use full-fat cream cheese
Pie crust: I used a premade pie crust but you can use your favorite homemade crust.
How to make this recipe
Step 1: Prepare your pie crust and bake as directed.
Step 2: Whip up the softened cream cheese in a large bowl.
Step 3: Add in your dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Step 4: Melt your butter and chocolate chips in the microwave.
Step 5: Pour the melted chocolate into the chocolate pie filling.
Step 6: Fold in the fresh whipped cream or store-bought cool whip. Pour the filling into the cooled pie crust.
1. Use pie weights or dried beans when baking your crust. It prevents the crust from forming air pockets and bubbling up.
2. Make sure your cream cheese is softened so there are no little bits of cream cheese.
3. I usually make my own whipped cream. But two containers of Cool Whip can also be used.
4. Let the pie set up for about 4 hours before serving.
I used a store-bought pie crust. If you prefer to make your own homemade pie crust, you certainly can. A graham cracker crust or Oreo cookie crust would also be fantastic
Yes, I prefer to leave the whipped topping off until ready to serve. Let the pie set up as directed in the refrigerator.
Then cover with a piece of plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil and freeze for up to three months. Simply thaw in the refrigerator and add the whipped topping and chocolate shavings before serving.
I use a stand mixer to make mine. For the quickest results, I place the metal bowl and whisk attachment into the freezer for 5 minutes to get the nice and chilled before making it. Add the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar and whip on high just until stiff peaks form. Place the finished whipped cream into the refrigerator until the chocolate mixture is chilled.
Chocolate curls give this pie a gorgeous finish. Let a large Hershey chocolate bar come to room temperature. Using a standard vegetable peeler slowly run the peeler down a side of the chocolate bar. Keep doing it until you have enough chocolate shavings.
Rich and Creamy Chocolate Cream Pie
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened
- 3 cups prepared whipped cream the rest will go on top
- 1 9 " deep dish pie crust
- Bake pie crust according to package directions. (Poke several holes in the crust with a fork or add dried beans or pie weights to the crust before baking and remove them after the crust has cooled.)
- For the whipped topping: In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, whip 3 cups heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar on high until stiff peaks form about 5 minutes. chill until ready to use. (This should make 5-6 cups whipped cream)
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer beat the softened cream cheese, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the chocolate chips and butter, microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave again for 15-second increments until melted.
- Using the electric mixer mix in the melted chocolate, and 3 cups of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until combined.
- Spread chocolate filling into pie crust. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Spread the remaining whipped cream on top.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.