Ditch the store-bought whipped cream and make this delicious homemade cool whip, instead. With only 3- simple ingredients, and 5-minutes this homemade whipped cream is super easy to make.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This stabilized whipped cream is the perfect substitute for a tub of cool whip that you would add to a recipe. Or whip up this delicious, fluffy whipped cream for all your family's favorite recipes! like my Banana Cream Pie, Chocolate Cream Pie, or Homemade Ice Cream.
why this recipe works
This easy recipe only uses 3-ingredients, but the key is how you beat the ingredients. To make it work, you’ll have to beat your ingredients until stiff peaks form, but you don’t want to overbeat it. The whipping process whips your ingredients into a perfectly fluffy homemade cool whip substitute.
- Heavy Whipping Cream- For the best-whipped cream it is critical to use heavy cream or heavy whipping cream and not whole milk. Additionally, make sure it is cold before using it.
- Powdered sugar-Otherwise is known as confectioners’ sugar
- Vanilla- Vanilla adds a hint of flavor offering you the perfect sweetness to your whipped cream. Be sure to use vanilla extract not imitation for a rich and delicious final product.
- Vanilla Pudding-Instant pudding NOT heat and serve.
How to make homemade cool whip without gelatin
- First, set a large bowl into the refrigerator to chill.
- Next, remove the bowl from the refrigerator and immediately add the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat your ingredients with an electric mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form or about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve this whip cream on your favorite desserts or in your hot chocolate.
- Chill your mixing bowl and use cold whipping cream.
- Make sure you use instant pudding and not the heat and serve kind.
- Don’t overbeat your ingredients. You want stiff peaks; however, it can quickly turn from fluffy to a curdled mess in seconds. Stop beating immediately after the peaks form.
- This recipe makes about 2 cups, you can easily double it.
Regular whipped cream doesn't hold its shape as long. It tends to droop over a couple of hours. Cool whip is thicker and can hold its shape longer and is the perfect final touch to my Key Lime Pie or my Pumpkin Pie.
The instant vanilla pudding adds the stabilizer effect that cool whip needs to hold its shape longer for the fluffiest whipped cream. That being said you can leave it out but keep in mind it won't have its shape as long.
This easy stabilized whipped cream recipe will last 2 weeks in an airtight container stored in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Set a large bowl in the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and add the heavy whipping cream, sugar, pudding and vanilla. Using a hand mixer beat on high until; stiff peaks form about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve chilled on your favorite desserts!
1. Make sure you use instant pudding and not the heat and serve kind.
2. Don’t overbeat your ingredients. You want stiff peaks; however, it can quickly turn from fluffy to a curdled mess in seconds. Stop beating immediately after the peaks form.
3. This recipe makes about 2 cups, you can easily double it.
Amount Per Serving Calories 158Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 45mgSodium 14mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 0gSugar 6gProtein 1g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.