Buttermilk pumpkin pie has a creamy filling in a flaky buttery crust a perfect Holiday dessert that everyone will love.
It requires just a few ingredients and a quick 10 minutes of your time mixing it and it's ready for the oven like my Mini Pumpkin Pie Bites. It has all the flavors of a traditional pumpkin pie and the buttermilk adds a bit of tanginess. Topped with my Homemade Cool Whip is simply amazing!
Let's take a quick look at the ingredients
Premade pie crust
Scroll down to the full detailed printable recipe card!
1. I use a pre-made crust but you can always make your own pie crust this Homemade Buttery Flaky Pie Crust is fantastic!
2. Make sure you use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling for this recipe.
3. If you don't have any buttermilk on hand you can make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of milk. Let it sit for a couple of minutes.
4. Whether it's a premade crust or from scratch always bake the crust first.
5. Make sure you allow the pie to be set up in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Can I freeze buttermilk pumpkin pie?
Yes! Let it cool completely to room temperature, wrap with a few layers of plastic wrap then wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. To defrost, place in refrigerator to defrost overnight.
How to store this pie
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-5 days.
MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, AND PINTEREST FOR ALL MY LATEST RECIPES.
Buttermilk Pumpkin Pie
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 1 15- ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 stick butter melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Whipped cream optional
- Bake pie crust according to the directions and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, butter, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and pumpkin spice until combined. Add the buttermilk and flour and whisk until combined.
- Pour into the pie crust and place on a baking sheet, bake for 50 minutes.
- Let cool and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle of fresh nutmeg if desired.