Slow Cooker Asian Beef Short Ribs melt in your mouth, tender beef, smothered in a sweet and savory sauce simmered with garlic and ginger.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This is an easy meal, I love setting it and forget it hearty meals that the whole family will love. Tender beef packed with delicious Asian flavors. If you're looking for more Asian-inspired recipes, check out my Slow Cooker Chinese Spare Ribs, which uses pork ribs. Or my Chinese BBQ Pork which is delicious in my Pork Fried Rice.
Why this recipe works
The best part of these Asian short ribs is they are so tender after the slow cooking process they simply fall right off the bone. We love it over white rice but on Creamy Mashed Potatoes or even on a bed of egg noodles.
- Short Ribs- Or you can use a chuck roast cut into chunks.
- Flour-All purpose works but you can also use cornstarch.
- Soy sauce-I use low sodium
- Brown Sugar-Either light or dark will work.
- Beef broth-You can use low sodium or regular.
- Garlic- Fresh minced garlic is always the best.
- Ginger-Fresh ginger works so much better here on the ground.
- Sesame Oil- Adds a delicious layer of flavor.
- Red pepper flakes- Adds a little spice, but feel free to adjust it if you prefer.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1-Pat short ribs dry with paper towels.
- Step 2-Season short ribs with salt and pepper and sprinkle ribs with a little flour.
- Step 3-In a small mixing bowl add the sauce ingredients and mix until combined.
- Step 4- Add olive oil to a large skillet or if your slow cooker sears and heat on medium heat. Sear the ribs.
- Step 5-Add the sauce on top of the seared ribs.
- Step 6-Cook until tender, serve over sticky rice and pour sauce on top garnish with green onions and sliced chili peppers if desired,
- I recommend this 7qt crockpot.
- Try and choose meat with nice marveling
- Sear the beef for the best flavor.
- Place your leftover ginger root in a ziplock freezer bag for more recipes.
- An easy way to skim the excess fat is to either use a spoon or scoop the top layer of the fat off of the surface of the sauce. or else place a couple of paper towels right on top to soak up the fat.
They are cut from the beef chuck section. Delicious for slow cooking or in a braising liquid until they fall apart tender.
You can use a different cut of beef like a chuck roast cut into large chunks instead of the ribs.
You don't have to sear the beef ribs but caramelizing the outside it adds another layer of flavor for a more delicious dish.
If you prefer a thicker sauce pour the sauce into a medium saucepan on medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon cornstarch and whisk and let simmer until thickened.
You can use the oven method by braising them. I recommend using a dutch oven with a lid. Bake at 350 degrees for 3-4 hours or until tender.
Slow Cooker Asian Beef Short Ribs
- 5-6 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons hot chili oil or red pepper flakes
- green onions sliced
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper then coat in 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Set aside.
- In a heavy skillet or pot, or if your slow cooker has the sear option heat to medium-high. Add oil, and brown the short ribs in batches on both sides. Place on a plate until they are all done then put them in the slow cooker..
- In a small bowl whisk the soy sauce, broth, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Pour over ribs in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the short ribs from the liquid and strain the top layer of fat.
- Serve with hot rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes and pour sauce over the ribs and garnish with green onions.