Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken Burritos are super easy. Tender juicy salsa chicken topped with cheese, and your favorite toppings and you are in Mexican food heaven.
These Slow cooker smothered chicken burritos are super easy to make and have so many layers of flavor. I usually do a taco bar-type setting so everyone can choose their own toppings. Which is always the preferred method around our house. Everybody seems to like something different.
Mexican food is my all-time favorite food, I could literally eat it every day. These burritos are stuffed with tender shredded chicken and topped with a spicy chili sauce. Serve these with Mexican Rice or even my Cilantro Lime Garlic Rice. This is definitely family tested and approved, you have to try this recipe your bellies will thank you.
What is a smothered or wet burrito?
A smothered burrito is a flour tortilla filled with your meat of choice. Covered in a red enchilada or chili gravy sauce, and melted cheese. Topped with all your favorite toppings.
This chili gravy sauce is super easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. Thickens up nicely and is the perfect sauce to pile on your burrito.
Can you freeze burritos?
Yes, you sure can! This recipe makes 8 burritos, sometimes I'll only make 1/2 the recipe and freeze the other four for an easy dinner. I just put them in a freezable container, top with the sauce, cover with foil, and freeze. Thaw them in the fridge overnight add cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until heated through.
Or wrap each burrito in plastic wrap and place into a ziplock freezer bag. Divide the sauce into individual servings in ziplock freezer bags and freeze. Remove one burrito and sauce packet, thaw overnight in the fridge or in the microwave. Place burrito, sauce, and cheese on plate and heat until bubbly.
Looking for more Mexican recipes to try?
- Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- Mexican Pizza
- Chipotle Lime Flank Steak Tacos
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Burrito
- Slow Cooker Beef Short Rib Tacos
Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken Burritos
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 7 ounce can green chilis
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 10 inch flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheese I use pepper jack and cheddar
For the chili gravy
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- Add chicken, salsa, green chilis, tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low 5-6 hours.
- Shred chicken in the slow cooker and let simmer in the juices another 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle cilantro on top.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and melt the butter, add in flour and whisk until combined. Add in salt, and spices and mix until combined. Whisk in beef broth and let simmer for about a minute until it becomes thicker. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Scoop 1/2 cup chicken mixture into the middle of the flour tortilla. Add 2-3 tablespoons of cheese. Fold the sides in and roll the tortilla into a burrito. Place in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Repeat process.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add chili gravy over the top of the burritos. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 15-18 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve burritos and top with your choice of toppings.