Roasted garlic mashed potatoes are super creamy and loaded with sweet bits of garlic.
Potatoes are huge in our house, we eat them a few times a week. Creamy garlic mashed potatoes are of course the family favorite like my Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes. I mean they go with every protein possible right? So why not!
These potatoes will quickly become a side dish favorite, and goes perfectly with my Pan Seared Rib Rye Steak or my Oven Baked Ribs! Buttery and creamy and the sweet garlic just takes them to a new level.
How to roast garlic
- First cut off the top of the garlic and place on a piece of foil.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap foil tightly around the garlic bulb.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove garlic from the foil and let cool. Once cooled squeeze garlic from the bottom and the garlic should slide right out.
- Using a knife smash the garlic until it becomes a paste.
- Add to the potatoes.
How to make perfect mashed potatoes
- Chop your potatoes into equal chunks to ensure they cook evenly.
- Place in a pot and fill with water, and add 2 teaspoons salt.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook until fork tender about 20 minutes.
- Drain in a colander, scoop potatoes into a potato ricer, squeeze into a bowl and repeat until you have riced all the potatoes.
- Add milk and butter to a microwave-safe bowl and heat on medium until the butter is melted and the milk is warm.
- Pour into potatoes, add cream cheese, garlic, and salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- You can also put the drained potatoes in the pot and use a potato masher, or hand mixer if you prefer.
Garlic Roasted Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 1 head garlic top cut off
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 cube butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup warm milk
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle top of garlic head with olive oil and wrap in tin foil and place in a small baking pan. Roast garlic at 400F 1 hour until garlic cloves are very soft. Unwrap from foil and let set until cool. Then squeeze the garlic out of the skins. Set aside.
- While garlic is roasting, peel potatoes and cut into chunks. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and cover. Let potatoes simmer until tender.
- Drain water from potatoes and place potatoes back into pot. Place a cube of butter in the pot to melt.
- In a pyrex measuring cup or small bowl heat the milk in a microwave for 30 seconds or just until warm.
- Scoop potatoes into a potato ricer, squeeze into a bowl and repeat until you have riced all of the potatoes.
- Add in your cream cheese, garlic, warmed milk and butter. Whisk until creamy.
- Top with minced chives or parsley.