Potatoes are huge in our house, we eat them a few times a week. Creamy garlic mashed potatoes are of course the family favorite. I mean they go with every protein possible right? So why not!
To make perfect mashed potatoes every time you must chop your potatoes into equal chunks to ensure they cook evenly. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until they’re all pretty smashed up. Cut in the stick of softened butter and the cream cheese, and continue to mash. Add the roasted garlic, salt and pepper. Warming the milk up before adding them to the potatoes ensures that they will be the creamiest ever.
- 1 head garlic, top cut off
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ in cubes
- 1 cube butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle top of garlic head with olive oil and wrap in tin foil and place in a small baking pan. Roast garlic at 400F 1 hour until garlic cloves are very soft. Unwrap from foil and let set until cool. Then squeeze the garlic out of the skins. Set aside.
- While garlic is roasting, peel potatoes and cut into chunks. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and cover. Let potatoes simmer until tender.
- Drain water from potatoes and place potatoes back into pot. Place a cube of butter in the pot to melt.
- In a pyrex measuring cup or small bowl heat the milk in a microwave for 30 seconds or just until warm.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher, add warm milk, roasted garlic and cream cheese. Using an electric hand mixer, beat on medium speed until potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Top with minced parsley