Slow Cooker Short Rib Tacos are simple to make and packed with flavor, tender fall-off-the-bone beef smothered in a rich and flavorful sauce.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
These short-rib tacos simply melt in your mouth and are always a huge hit. In our house tacos are a weekly meal, we love all different kinds like these Salsa Chicken Tacos, Flank Steak Street Tacos served with a side of my Restaurant Style Mexican Rice.
Why this recipe works
This easy slow cooker recipe has deep intense flavor from cooking slowly in the liquid. The flavorful meat is delicious in warm tortillas for taco night or Cinco de Mayo like my Slow Cooker Beef Burritoes.
- Beef short ribs: I use bone-in but you can certainly use boneless short ribs if you prefer. You can also use a beef chuck roast cut into large chunks.
- Flour: All-purpose flour or cornstarch can also be used.
- Oil: Vegetable oil or any other high-heat oil like olive oil or avocado oil.
- Onion: A white or yellow onion is recommended.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic always has the best flavor.
- Beer: A dark beer
- Stock: Use low-sodium beef broth or beef stock.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce: Pop the rest in the freezer for another use.
- Seasonings: Cumin, smoked paprika, and brown sugar
- Shells: I used corn tortillas but if you prefer flour use those.
How to make beef short rib tacos
- Step 1: Season short ribs with salt and pepper and sprinkle the flour on all sides.
- Step 2: Heat a skillet or Dutch oven on medium-high heat and add the olive oil, place a few short ribs into the hot oil.
- Step 3: Sear the short ribs on all sides then place the brown ribs on a plate.
- Step 4: Add the sliced onions, chipotle chiles seasonings, beer, and beef stock into the crock pot.
- Step 5: Place the seared beef short ribs into the braising liquid and cook until fork tender.
- Step 6: Remove the short ribs from the cooking liquid to a plate and shred meat into pieces with a couple of forks.
Short Rib Taco Toppings
- Pico de gallo
- Chipotle coleslaw
- Avocado slices
- Fresh cilantro
- Queso Fresco
- Squeeze of lime juice
- I like to fry my corn tortillas in a little olive oil to make them crispy, but just warm corn tortillas are also delicious.
- Place your extra chipotle peppers in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze them for another use.
- Non alcoholic: Just add another 1 1/2 cups of beef stock.
Beef shorts ribs are a fantastic choice! But sometimes can be a bit pricy. A chuck roast can be more economical cut you I just recommend cutting it into large chunks before searing.
Short ribs are delicious but they are one of the tougher cuts of meat. They are best for slow cooking where they become super tender and melt in your mouth.
Yes, you can, Follow the directions but sear the meat in a large Dutch oven or large covered pot then add all the ingredients to that. Cover and place in a 325-degree oven and braise for 3 1/2 hours.
Yes, just place the shredded beef in an freezer-safe container with some of the juices and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and heat the beef up in a saucepan on low until heated through.
Slow Cooker Short Rib Tacos
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bottle dark beer
- 2 cups low sodium beef stock
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 Chipotle peppers plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 onion sliced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup crumbled Queso Fresco cheese
- Corn tortillas
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper, then sprinkle the flour over the ribs evenly. Heat a heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat and add oil. Brown the short ribs on all sides and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add sliced onions, beef stock, beer, brown sugar, cumin, and paprika chipotle peppers into the slow cooker and mix. Place ribs in the broth and toss in the garlic. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low 8-10 hours.
- Pull the beef off the ribs and place it back in juices. Heat up the corn tortillas, add your beef and slaw and crumbled Queso Fresco.