This easy Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich is the perfect meal for those busy weeknights.
This bbq chicken sandwich recipe is super easy, just toss it all in the slow cooker, set it and forget it. It comes out tender and juicy every time
I usually use soft hamburger buns, and I always toast them to prevent the sauce from making the buns to soggy. But Ciabatta rolls are also fantastic.
I guarantee this slow cooker bbq chicken recipe is so easy, you be making it all year long! If you have any leftover, it freezer nicely to use for another meal. We LOVE it piled on baked potatoes.
This creamy chipotle cole slaw is SOOO GOOD! It adds the perfect creamy texture to the bbq sandwich with just a touch of heat.
What to serve with Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad
- Grilled Corn with Cilantro Lime Butter
- Marinated Four Bean Salad
- Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Crispy Parmesan Onion Rings
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce, we use Kinders
- 1/2 sweet onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 buns or sandwich rolls
- 3 tablespoon butter softened
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 chipotle pepper diced, from the can with adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a small bowl mix paprika, garlic powder salt, brown sugar, oregano and mix until combined
- Add sliced onions to slow cooker and place the chicken on top. Sprinkle the seasonings on the chicken. Pour bbq sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours.
- In a small bowl add the mayo, chipotle, and lime juice whisk until combined and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the cabbage, and cilantro add the dressing to the slaw and mix until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Place chicken back into slow cooker and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Spread the softened butter over the buns. Heat a skillet or griddle to medium high heat, add the buns butter side down into the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- **To thicken the sauce add 1 tablespoon cornstarch to 3 tablespoon water whisk until it becomes a paste. Add into the shredded chicken and sauce, mix and let set 15 minutes to thicken.
- **You will have left over chipotle from the can. Freezes perfectly in freezer bags for later use.
Serving Size6 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 822 Total Fat 30g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 19g Cholesterol 186mg Sodium 1817mg Carbohydrates 68g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 32g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 67g