Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich, is not only amazing, but every bite will have you craving more! Grab hold with both hands and enjoy!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
We've made this for busy weeknight dinners, and it's literally the easiest BBQ chicken recipe ever. One of the best things about cooking with a crock pot is that it makes enough to feed a crowd. I'm a huge fan of easy chicken recipes, but some of my favorites are Baked Parmesan Chicken Wings Honey Butter Garlic Shrimp, Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwiches.
Why this recipe works
I love that this crockpot BBQ chicken recipe is made using simple ingredients. This cuts down on the meal prep required, which is always good news! You can also serve these easy bbq chicken sandwiches as a quick dinner for the whole family or as a fun addition to any big group parties or game days, too. The ease of making this crockpot BBQ chicken is why it's one of my favorite slow cooker recipes!
Ingredients for BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken breasts or tenders: boneless skinless chicken thighs will also work.
- BBQ sauce: Choose your favorite bbq sauce! We use Kinders, or you can make your own homemade bbq sauce.
- Sweet onion: The sweetness of the onion pairs perfectly with the sauce.
- Smoked paprika: Regular paprika will work also.
- Brown sugar: Either light or brown sugar will work here.
- Chipotle pepper: Chipotle in adobo sauce in the can.
- Shredded cabbage: You can buy the cabbage already shredded using a coleslaw mix.
- Hamburger buns: or soft rolls for this barbecue chicken sandwich.
How to make BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- Step 1: Add the chicken, onions, spices and barbecue sauce to the slow cooker.
- Step 2: Cook, then shred the chicken.
The chipotle coleslaw is crisp, creamy with just a touch of smokey heat. Perfect sandwich topping for the sweet and tender shredded chicken.
- To thicken your sauce. Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to 3 tablespoons of water and whisk to thicken your favorite barbecue sauce. It will start to form a paste. You can then add in the chicken, mix it, and let it sit for 15 minutes to thicken up completely.
- Buns or rolls Pile this shredded chicken on top of soft hamburger buns, rolls, or even a hot baked potato.
- Pile on some dill pickles, red onions, and even ranch dressing for a twist.
You can! Once you shred it and have it prepped and ready, just add it to a freezer-safe bag and store it for later. It should last for up to 2 months in the freezer.
I prefer a spicy barbecue like Kinders Spicy Roasted Garlic. But you can use whatever your favorite is, or even a homemade version.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce we use Kinders
- 1/2 sweet onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 buns or sandwich rolls
- 3 tablespoon butter softened
For the slaw
- 3 cups coleslaw
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper diced in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl mix paprika, garlic powder salt, brown sugar, oregano, and mix until combined
- Add sliced onions to the slow cooker and place the chicken on top. Sprinkle the seasonings on the chicken. Pour bbq sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours.
- In a small bowl add the mayo, chipotle, and lime juice whisk until combined, and set aside.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Place chicken back into the slow cooker and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Spread the softened butter over the buns. Heat a skillet or griddle to medium-high heat, add the buns butter side down into the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
For the Slaw
- 1. in a small bowl add the mayonnaise, chipotle pepper, and lime juice and mix until combined.
- 2. In a medium bowl add the cabbage, cilantro, and dressing and mix until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
whisk until it becomes a paste. Add into the shredded chicken and sauce,
mix and let set 15 minutes to thicken. *You will have leftover chipotle from the can. Place the leftovers in a ziplock freezer bag for other uses.