Apple cider donuts are a sweet Fall treat! This easy recipe that can be made at home, and enjoyed by all!
My family craves these donuts, loaded with fresh apples and topped with a apple cider glaze. Lets just say these babies do not disappoint!
There is nothing better than a fresh, warm donut! Crunchy on the outside, cakey and tender on the inside. So GOOD and perfect for breakfast or dessert!
Tips for making apple cider donuts
- Start with 2 cups apple cider, (you want to use the fresh kind) Simmer for about 20 minutes until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups.
- In a medium bowl sift all the dry ingredients together and whisk.
- In a large bowl mix the butter and sugars until combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix. Then add 1 cup apple cider, buttermilk and vanilla and mix.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until combined.
- Fold in the diced apples
- Sprinkle some flour onto a flat surface and take 1/2 of the dough, roll around into the floured surface until the stickiness goes away.
- Using a rolling pin roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using the donut cutter cut your donuts and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a heavy bottom pot to 350 degrees.
- Carefully drop 3-4 donuts into the oil. Fry 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove to a wire cooling rack to drain.
- Once cooled dip into apple cider glaze and return to wire rack.
Items I use to make this recipe:
- Deep Fat Fryer/ Cast iron Pot
- Candy Thermometer
- Flour sifter
- Donut cutter
- Wire Spider
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet
- Cooling rack
- Spoons/ Cups
- Rolling Pin
Making homemade donuts is not hard just a little time consuming. That’s exactly why you should make a bunch and freeze them for a quick treat. Trust me these apple cider donuts are the real deal and about to be your latest food addiction!
Looking for more Fall apple desserts?
- 2 cups apple cider (the real stuff)
- 5 cups all purpose flour (plus more for rolling out)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 apples peeled, cored and finely chopped (Gala or Fuji)
Apple Cider Glaze
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup reduced apple cider
- Add apple cider to a medium, saucepan over low heat. Let apple cider simmer about 20-25 minutes until reduced, (you should have about 1 1/2 cups). Remove from heat to let cool.
- In a medium bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined. Add eggs one at a time and mix until combined. Add in 1 cup reduced apple cider, buttermilk, and vanilla and mix.
- Add the flour mixture a mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the chopped apples with a spatula just until combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Turn half the dough out on to a well floured surface. Gently roll the dough around until it becomes less sticky.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness. Using a lightly floured donut cutter, cut out the donuts and place them on the baking sheet. Scoop up the dough scrapes and repeat. Then repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet.
- Add about 3 inches of oil into a heavy bottom pot. Place your candy thermometer on the side and heat to 350 degrees.
- Drop 3-4 donuts in the pot at a time (you don't want to crowd them) Cook 1-2 minutes then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes. Remove the donuts and place on the wire rack to cool.
- Mix powdered sugar and remaining apple cider in a small bowl until combined. Dip the donuts in glaze. Let set and Enjoy
You need to use the real apple cider, usually found in the refrigerator section of your local grocery store.
You can make your own buttermilk- 1/2 cup milk plus 2 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice.
To freeze donuts- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a ziplock freezer bag. Freeze up to 3 months.
To Thaw- Place in refrigerator over night. Warm in 300 degree oven for 10-12 minutes and dip in apple cider glaze.
Amount Per Serving Calories 286 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 28mg Sodium 292mg Carbohydrates 58g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 35g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 4g