Air Fryer Donuts are fried to golden perfection and coated in a luscious chocolate glaze, these chocolate-glazed air fryer donuts taste even better than they look!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you! Read our disclosure policy here.
You can crush those donut cravings by making your own with this easy Air Fryer Donut recipe! If you're in the mood for more donuts, try my Apple Cider Donuts, perfect for those fall cravings, or these classic Baked Glazed Donuts that are perfect for all year long!
Why this recipe works
Air Fryer Donuts are fast and easy to make. You can have warm, fresh yeast donuts in no time! No deep fryer is required, so you get that same golden, crispy exterior with no mess or extra hassle.
With an Air Fryer, you don't have to use as much oil as the traditional deep frying method to make deep-fried donuts - reducing calories and fat content.
These chocolate-glazed air fryer donuts taste even better than they look!
- Yeast: Active dry yeast
- Milk: Milk helps to activate the yeast to form a yeast mixture.
- Sugar: Granulated white sugar for donut batter and powdered sugar for donut glaze.
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour.
- Egg: This is a binding agent.
- Butter: Melted unsalted butter.
- Vanilla extract: needed for both the donut batter and the chocolate glaze.
- Cocoa powder: Gives the glaze the chocolate flavor.
- Water: This is needed to help make glaze.
How to Air Fryer Donuts
- Step 1: In a large bowl, combine milk, yeast, and a teaspoon of sugar. Let sit, covered until it starts to foam.
- Step 2: In a separate large mixing bowl, stir the rest of the white sugar and flour. Then add the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Step 3: Mix the donut dough until combined.
- Step 4: Dump the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is no longer sticky. Let the dough rise.
- Step 5: Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Step 6: Use a donut cutter or glass jar to cup out the donuts and holes. Allow the donuts to rest and rise.
- Step 7: Preheat Air Fryer and line it with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray it before adding a few donuts to the basket.
- Step 8: Fry and repeat with the remaining donuts until all have been cooked. Mix up the chocolate glaze and once the donuts have slightly cooled dip each one in then add sprinkle if desired.
- I use this biscuit cutter but you can also use a wide mouth glass.
- Don't overcrowd your basket. Depending on the size you should be able to get 3-4 donuts at a time.
- You can make donut holes from the dough you remove from the center of the donuts.
- Don't skip the rise times, that's what helps make these Air-Fried Donuts so light and fluffy.
Not this time! Because air fryers do such a great job of circulating hot air, as long as you sprayed both your air fryer basket and the tops of your donuts with oil, your donuts should come out golden brown on both sides—no flipping required!
Of course! Simply fill a heavy-bottomed pot with a couple of inches of frying oil and heat until it reaches about 360°F. Gently place a few of your donuts into the oil and let fry for about one minute per side. Once golden, remove from the oil and let cool on a drying rack before glazing.
Yes! The best way to freeze your donuts for later is to let them cool before wrapping them in plastic wrap individually and placing them in a freezer safe bag or container. Let the donuts thaw in the fridge overnight and use the Air Fryer or microwave to warm back up when ready. Warming them up may melt the glaze though.
These homemade donuts are best when you first make them. But to keep donuts a little longer, you can store them in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
Air Fryer Donuts
- 1 cup warm milk (about 100 F)
- 2 ½ tsp. active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup + 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 tablespoons water
- Combine the warm milk, yeast, and 1 tsp. of sugar. Let sit, covered until foamy (about five minutes).
- In a large bowl, stir together the remaining sugar and flour. Add to it your milk mixture, egg, butter, and vanilla and stir until well combined and no dry flour remains.
- Dump your dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, until dough is no longer sticky.
- Allow your dough to rise for 30 minutes
- Roll out the dough into a ½ inch thick sheet and cut out 4-inch circles
- Use a knife to cut a smaller circle out of the center of each donut.
- Allow your cut donuts to rise for another 30 minutes. While they rise, preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 350°F.
- Spray your air fryer with cooking spray or place a small piece of parchment paper on the bottom. Place 4-5 donuts in the basket and fry for 3-5 minutes. Remove to a platter and repeat with the remaining donuts.
- Add the donut holes to the basket and fry for 2-3 minutes.
For the Glaze
- In a small bowl add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and water and whisk until smooth.
- Dip your donuts into the glaze after they finish cooking. Top with sprinkles and enjoy!