Caramel apple crumble bars have a thick brown sugar crust, Granny Smith apples, and drizzled with homemade caramel sauce are what you get when you make these addicting bars. You won’t be able to eat just one! This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
If you are a fan of My Skillet Apple Crisp Recipe, you are going to love these crumble bars! Grab a bar before you head out the door as a sweet breakfast option, bake them up for the office, or enjoy them as an after-dinner snack.
Let's take a quick look at the ingredients
• Butter-I use salted but unsalted will also work
• Brown sugar- Light or dark either is fine.
• All-Purpose flour
• Old fashioned oats
• Baking Soda
• Lemon Juice
• Caramels- Werther's are the best
• Heavy Cream
Scroll down for the full recipe!
For this recipe, you’ll also need a few supplies. Here’s what you need:
How to make caramel apple crumble bars
• Make the Crumble Crust: In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Mix ingredients until combined.
• Reserve some crust: Reserving some for the topping.
• Press the crust Take your remaining crumble and place it into the lined baking pan. Spread and press it out evenly to create a crust.
• Prepare the Apple Filling: Next, dice up your apples. Then, combine them with lemon juice, allspice, and flour in a medium bowl. Toss the apples until fully coated.
• Spread your filling: Spread the apple mixture evenly over the crust.
• Heat the Caramels: In a medium saucepan, heat your caramels and heavy cream on medium, low heat. Stir frequently until the caramels are completely melted.
• Drizzle the caramel: Let it cool slightly then drizzle the caramel sauce over the apple filling.
• Add the Crumble and Bake: Evenly spread your remaining crumble mixture over the filling and caramel drizzle and bake!
Serve and Enjoy!
1. Peel your apples: The apple crumble bars have a much better texture and taste if you peel the apples.
2. Don’t let the caramel cool too much. If you let it cool too much, it will begin to harden, and you will need to reheat it again.
3. Make sure they are golden brown: Before removing the bars from the oven, make sure the edges are browned. You want them to be a light golden brown color.
4. Serve with ice cream: These bars are even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
What Type of Apples Do I Need?
I used both Granny Smith and Gala apples when making my bars. You can use one kind or a variety of apples. Keep in mind that Granny smith apples have more of a tart flavor. So, if you want more of a sweet flavor, I would suggest just using red apples.
What Caramels Are Best for These Crumble Bars?
Personally, I find that Wether’s soft caramels melt the best. I use one 10.8 ounce package which is about 48 caramels. You can use whatever caramels you prefer, just make sure they melt well before adding them to your bars. Or you can make this Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe.
Storage and freezing
To store These bars are best the day they are made, but you can store them for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Allow them to completely cool and cover them with plastic wrap before placing
To freeze You want to make sure that your apple crumble bars are wrapped with plastic wrap, then placed in freezer bags to create an airtight seal. They will last about 3 months in the freezer.
Crust and crumble topping
- 1 ½ cups butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups apples, peeled and diced (I used Granny Smith and Gala)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-(10.8 oz pkg) caramels (I use Werther’s soft)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan
with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the melted butter, brown sugar, flour,
oats, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Mix until combined, take ½ of the mixture
, and place it into the lined baking pan. Spread and press it out evenly.
- In a medium bowl add the diced apples, lemon juice,
allspice, flour and toss until coated. Spread evenly over the crust.
- Heat a medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Add in the
caramels and heavy cream. Stirring frequently until completely melted. Once
melted remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce evenly over the diced apples.
- Crumble and sprinkle the reserved topping over the caramel.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned around the
edges. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Serve alone or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Werther’s soft caramels melt the best, you’ll need 1 10.8
ounce pkg or about 48 caramels.
You can use any combination of apples.
Amount Per Serving Calories 344Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 49mgSodium 303mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 2gSugar 20gProtein 3g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.