This Mongolian Beef is healthy, full of flavor and better than any take out.
This Mongolian beef is one of my favorite Chinese take out options. Tender strips of beef, saturated in a delicious sauce! Savory and slightly sweet, and is perfect with a bowl of sticky rice. Move over P.F. Chang’s you’ve got some competition!
Next time you’re craving Mongolian Beef skip the take out and make this from the comfort of your home! This dish is super easy, and can be made in about 30 min.
I love to use Ribeye steak or flank. If your using flank steak there are a few things that are a must in order to ensure the beef is tender. You need to make thin slices and cut against the grain. When you sear the meat just make it a quick sear on both sides.
The red pepper flakes are optional, but I like to balance out the sweet with a little heat. You could leave out the spice all together if you needed to make it more kid friendly.
Looking for more delicious recipes?
- 1 1/2 pound flank steak sliced against the grain into thin, bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- In a small bowl whisk soy sauce, water, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper until combined.
- Slice the steak thinly against the grain into bite sized pieces and place in large bowl.Toss the sliced flank steak and 1/2 cup cornstarch until evenly coated, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet or wok over medium high heat. Once its nice and hot, cooking in batches add beef and cook just until browned and slightly crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the sauce into the pan and beef, simmer until thickened about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds.
Serving Size6 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 520 Total Fat 30g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 22g Cholesterol 90mg Sodium 835mg Carbohydrates 28g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 15g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 34g