Cheesy sausage zucchini rice casserole is a perfect weeknight meal that comes together in 30 minutes. Cheesy rice with smoked sausage, and loaded with fresh zucchini.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
I love making casseroles they are just such an easy one-dish meal to feed a growing family. And usually budget-friendly like my Easy Breakfast Casserole, Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole, or my Crescent Sausage Casserole that my entire family devours.
Why this recipe works
You will love this homestyle sausage zucchini rice casserole. Not only is it an easy one-pot meal and a great way to use up that abundance of zucchini from your garden. Looking for something sweet try my Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies.
- Olive oil: Melted butter can be used instead.
- Sausage: I like to use smoked beef sausage. But a spicy Italian Sausage, Kielbasa sausage, or turkey sausage will also work.
- Chicken broth: Can substitute for vegetable broth.
- Rice: I prefer to use jasmine rice.
- Cheese: I used white cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1: Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the olive oil and sliced sausages and cook the sausage until browned.
- Step 2: Add in the onions, red bell peppers, and garlic and cook just until softened.
- Step 3: Stir in the rice to the cooked sausage mixture and saute just until lightly toasted.
- Step 4: Add in the chicken stock give it a good stir and let simmer.
- Step 5: Cover the skillet and cook.
- Step 6: Fold in the shredded zucchini and cheese and stir until melted.
- Leave the smoked sausage out and you have a side dish that goes with any protein like my Crispy Chicken Cutlets.
- Don't use pre-shredded cheese, it doesn't melt as well.
- Make sure you cook your rice on the smallest burner, on the lowest setting.
- You must use a dish with a cover like my Cast Iron Casserole Dish.
This zucchini casserole is even better the next day. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I don't recommend freezing this recipe. Zucchini holds a lot of water, and when it thaws after being frozen it will release a lot of extra moisture and the dish will become mushy.
Yes, this is an easy recipe that's very versatile. Yellow squash is also known as crookneck will work just fine in place of zucchini.
If the rice still has a crunch, but you still see liquid in the skillet replace the lid and cook a few more minutes. If you don't see any liquid in the skillet add about 1/8 of a cup more broth or water over the rice, place the lid back on and cook another 5 minutes.
Cheesy Sausage Zucchini Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Smoked Beef Sausage cut into slices
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese I use white cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Heat a large skillet (with a lid) over medium-high heat and add olive oil and sliced sausages and cook just until browned about 3-4 minutes.
- 2. Add in diced onions, red pepper, and garlic and cook until softened about 2-3 minutes.
- 3. Add in the rice and stir around for 1-2 minutes to toast the rice.
- 4. Stir in the chicken stock and let it come to a boil. Reduce heat to the lowest setting (and smallest burner) place the lid on and cook for 18-20 minutes.
- 5. Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork, add in shredded zucchini and cheeses and stir until combined.
- 6. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!