Italian sausage zucchini boats are stuffed with a hearty sausage mixture and topped with lots of melty cheese.
Zucchini is a popular summer vegetable and there are so many ways to use it. Whether you're making my Lemon Zucchini Bread or Chocolate Zucchini Bread, or Zucchini Parmesan Crisps everybody is going to love it.
Let's take a quick look at the ingredients
- Italian sausage
- Red peppers
- Green peppers
- Marinara sauce
- Parmesan cheese
Can you freeze zucchini boats?
Although you can freeze zucchini it tends to come out of the freezer a bit mushy. So for this particular recipe, I don’t recommend freezing. But you can prepare and freeze the filling which would make it super easy to through together for a busy weeknight meal.
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2-3 garlic cloves diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup corn ( if frozen thawed)
- 1 1/2 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Fresh basil chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and gently scoop out the flesh.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat, add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes, then add in the onions, red peppers, green peppers and garlic and cook until browned about another 3-4 minutes.
- Once browned drain any extra fat.
- Add in the corn, marinara sauce and parmesan cheese and mix until combined.
- Add the mixture to the zucchini boats and place in a baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until zucchini is fork tender. remove add fresh basil...Enjoy!