Roasted Poblano Pepper Beef Chili is hearty and loaded with flavor!
Yay...I'm so excited its finally chili season! This Roasted Poblano Pepper Beef Chili is thick and delicious. You get the perfect amount of spice from the poblano peppers.
Ways to roast poblano peppers!
- Turn a gas burner on high. Using tongs place peppers over direct flame. Turn peppers until skin is blackened.
- Set oven to broil and place pepper on baking sheet broil peppers flipping when needed to char the peppers.
- Heat a grill on medium high. Place peppers over direct heat and cook until charred.
- Place peppers in bowl and cover with plastic wrap about 10 minutes. This will help steam the peppers, so the skin comes off easily.
- Using a knife scrape the skin off the peppers and remove the stem and seeds.
How to make Roasted Poblano Pepper Beef Chili
- Roast peppers and dice them up and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pot to medium high heat and add ground beef. Cook about 10 minutes or until browned. Drain fat.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, seasonings and mix.
- Pour in chicken stock, beer, beans and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl add Masa Harina and water and mix until combined. Add to the chili and stir.
- Bring the chili to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
Looking for more comfort food recipes?
- Bacon Jalapeno Mac N Cheese
- Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
- Ribeye Steak Chili
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
The smoky peppers mix perfectly with the tomato and beef flavors. I guarantee this will be a new go to recipe for chili.
One of my favorite parts of chili is the abundance of topping choices. I like the works. My family also requests my Sweet Honey Cornbread, they say its a must have with chili.
- 1- 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 poblano peppers
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 dark beer
- 1-28 oz can can diced tomatoes
- 2- 28 oz cans pinto beans
- 1/4 cup Masa Harina
- 1/2 cup water
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- Set oven to broil
- Place poblano peppers on baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes flipping as needed to char all sides.
- Place poblano pepper in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, let set 10 minutes. Remove the seeds and stem from the peppers and scrap off the black char with a sharp knife. (its okay if you don't get it all off) Slice and dice the peppers and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pot or heavy bottom pot on medium high heat. Add ground beef, season with salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes or until browned. Drain fat and add in onions, peppers and garlic and cook a couple minutes. Next add in tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, cocoa, brown sugar, and stir cook for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the beef stock and beer, beans and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl mix Masa and water until combined. Pour into chili and stir.
- Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve and top with your favorite toppings!
Serving Size8 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 699Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 80mgSodium 741mgCarbohydrates 75gFiber 23gSugar 11gProtein 48g