This Sweet Honey Cornbread is moist and tender with slightly crispy edges and the perfect amount of sweetness. Using simple pantry stables you'll have a delicious side dish everybody will love.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This Honey Cornbread recipe is absolutely drool-worthy, fresh out of the oven, warm with a pat of honey butter. The perfect side to warm and cozy dinner recipes in the Fall or fried chicken, BBQ meats in the summer.
Why this recipe works
Whether sweet or savory cornbread is a comforting side dish that can be served all year long. Serve it with a big bowl of chili like my Roasted Poblano Pepper Beef Chili, Slow Cooker Bean, and Bacon Soup or my Oven Baked BBQ Ribs. Making this homemade cornbread with honey recipe in a cast-iron skillet. You get the best golden crispy crust with a tender inside and I promise the best cornbread ever! Looking for a gluten-free option? Try this Gluten Free Cornbread.
Ingredients needed for skillet cornbread
- Yellow Cornmeal: is coarse and adds color to the cornbread.
- Vegetable Oil: Makes the cornbread really moist.
- Honey: A rich sweetener that adds tons of flavor
- Milk: Whole milk
- Butter: Both unsalted butter and salted will work for this
How to make honey cornbread
Step 1: Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Step 2: In a small bowl add in all the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
Step 3: Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
Step 4: Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add the tablespoon of butter. Pour batter in a preheated cast-iron skillet with the melted butter and bake.
- Don't overmix the batter, as it can make your cornbread tough.
- Place the skillet in the center rack of the oven.
- The skillet cornbread is ready when it is golden brown and an toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- You can also use a 9x9 baking dish if desired.
Homemade cornbread gets the most amazing crispy edges, I use a 10-inch skillet and I highly recommend getting one. But it can also be baked in a 9x9 square baking pan .
Sure, can! Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners and fill the cups about 2/3 full and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Store leftover cornbread in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Warn in the microwave.
What to serve with cornbread
Sweet Honey Cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl combine egg, oil, honey, and milk and mix well.
- Add wet mixture to the dry and mix just until combined.
- Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the tablespoon butter, coat the skillet with the melted butter. Pour the batter into the skillet
- Bake 20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.