Who doesnt love a creamy soup? The tomatoes, garlic and onions are roasted to perfection to bring all the flavor out in them. Then thrown in a big pot add some chicken stock with the other ingredients and just let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Then blend it with an immersion blender. Stir in the cream… voila!
It pairs perfectly with an extra cheesy grilled cheese or even just some crusty bread or crackers.
And any leftovers freezes perfectly!
- 5 lbs. tomatoes, stemmed and quartered (I use Roma)
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450*.
- Toss tomatoes, garlic, ¼ cup olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer mixture to a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until tomatoes are very soft. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, saute the onion in 2 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat, until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the broth, sugar, basil, kosher salt, pepper flakes, and roasted tomato mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer about 10 minutes. Puree the soup, in a blender or with hand blender, until smooth.
- Stir in the cream.