We love all Mexican food in our house. So I knew we would love these enchiladas, they’re creamy, loaded with chicken and cheese. Add a side of rice and beans and this totally hits the spot. Make these enchiladas for your family, and they’ll be begging for more.
Tips for making green chili chicken enchiladas
- Warming the tortillas up for a few minutes in the microwave helps ensure they wont crack to much.
- Left over chicken works wonderfully for these enchiladas. But if you don’t have any, just grab a rotisserie chicken from the store.
- You could also use left over shredded turkey or even pulled pork for a delicious variation.
- I use pepper jack cheese, because that’s our favorite. But you could really use any cheese you prefer.
- These enchiladas make a perfect freezer meal. I just recommend using a disposable metal tin covered with foil. Just thaw for about a couple hours or overnight in the fridge then bake as directed.
Next time your craving Mexican food gives these enchiladas a try. They are absolutely to die for! Even the pickiest of eaters love these, which makes them an easy family friendly weeknight meal.
Can you use flour tortillas for enchiladas?
Corn tortillas are traditional for enchiladas. But flour tortillas will also work and are equally delicious. The 7 -8 inch flour tortillas size work the best.
Here are a few of my Mexican inspired favorites!
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chilis Copycat Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Tequila Lime Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Chicken and Pepper Jack Cheese Taquitos
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-7 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1-14 ounce can green chile enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 10 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a small skillet heat olive oil on medium heat and add onions. Cook 3-5 minutes then add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, 1/4 cup sour cream until combined. Mix in chicken, onions, garlic, cream cheese, chiles, cumin, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese.
- In a small bowl add the remaining enchilada sauce and the remaining 1/4 cup sour cream and whisk until combined.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place a few corn tortillas on a microwave safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Heat 30-45 seconds to steam.
- Then add about 1/2 cup chicken mixture to each tortilla, roll up and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat until they are done. Pour the enchilada sauce mixture over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- *Soft flour tortillas can be used instead of corn. No need to pre-cook flour tortillas prior to assembling the enchiladas.
Amount Per Serving Calories 786Total Fat 56gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 34gCholesterol 108mgSodium 537mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 8gSugar 12gProtein 33g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.