These Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas are loaded with chiles, chicken, and cheese. Super easy recipe, that's perfect for a quick weeknight meal!
We love all Mexican food in our house. So I knew we would love these enchiladas, they're creamy, loaded with chicken and cheese. Add a side of rice and beans and this totally hits the spot. Make these enchiladas for your family, and they'll be begging for more.
Tips for making green chili chicken enchiladas
- Warming the tortillas up for a few minutes in the microwave helps ensure they won't crack too much.
- Leftover chicken works wonderfully for these enchiladas. But if you don't have any, just grab a rotisserie chicken from the store.
- You could also use leftover shredded turkey or even pulled pork for a delicious variation.
- I use pepper jack cheese because that's our favorite. But you could really use any cheese you prefer.
- These enchiladas make a perfect freezer meal. I just recommend using a disposable metal tin covered with foil. Just thaw for about a couple of hours or overnight in the fridge then bake as directed.
Next time your craving Mexican food gives these enchiladas a try. They are absolutely to die for! Even the pickiest of eaters love these, which makes them an easy family-friendly weeknight meal.
Can you use flour tortillas for enchiladas?
Corn tortillas are traditional for enchiladas. But flour tortillas will also work and are equally delicious. The 7 -8 inch flour tortilla size works the best.
Here are a few of my Mexican-inspired favorites!
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chilis Copycat Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Tequila Lime Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Chicken and Pepper Jack Cheese Taquitos
- Easy Beef Enchiladas
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-7 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1-14 ounce can green chile enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 10 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a small skillet heat olive oil on medium heat and add onions. Cook 3-5 minutes then add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, 1/4 cup sour cream until combined. Mix in chicken, onions, garlic, cream cheese, chiles, cumin, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese.
- In a small bowl add the remaining enchilada sauce and the remaining 1/4 cup sour cream and whisk until combined.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place a few corn tortillas on a microwave safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Heat 30-45 seconds to steam.
- Then add about 1/2 cup chicken mixture to each tortilla, roll up and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat until they are done. Pour the enchilada sauce mixture over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- *Soft flour tortillas can be used instead of corn. No need to pre-cook flour tortillas prior to assembling the enchiladas.