Western Bacon Cheeseburger is a classic favorite that will satisify your cravings! A juicy beef patty, crispy bacon, melted cheese, onion rings, and a tangy bbq sauce.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This western burger recipe is a copycat burger version of a classic favorite at Carl's Jr or Hardee's restaurant. This mouthwatering burger will make your taste buds crave a backyard barbecue served with a side of Sweet Corn on the Cob, Baked Beans, and Potato Salad!
Why this recipe works
These juicy burgers are perfect for gatherings, if you're hosting a barbecue or a casual get-together, serving Western Bacon Cheeseburgers can be a crowd-pleasing option. It's a well-loved burger that you'll go crazy for.
- Ground beef: I like to use 80/20 for burgers
- Bacon: Choose a good quality bacon I prefer thick-cut smoky bacon for this recipe but thin will also work.
- Cheese: I prefer American cheese for these burgers, but you can certainly use cheddar cheese.
- Barbecue sauce: I like tangy barbecue sauce like Kinders.
- Onion Rings: You can use frozen onion rings or make these Homemade Onion Rings.
- Hamburger buns: The sesame seed buns are what I use here but you can plain buns if you prefer.
How to make this western bbq burger
- Step 1: Shape ground beef into four thick patties and place them on a baking sheet. Mix the spices together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly on the patties.
- Step 2: Heat a barbecue grill on medium-high heat and place the beef patties over the fire and cook for 2-5 minutes or until the desired doneness.
- Step 3: Flip the burger patties and continue cooking until the desired doneness.
- Step 4: Place the cheese slices on top of the burger patty.
- Step 5: When the melted American cheese is done remove it to a plate.
- Step 6: Place your buns on the grill and let them toast, assemble the burgers.
- Form your patties to fit your hamburger bun they will shrink a bit.
- Make sure you get your grill really hot before you place patties on.
- You can easily make double western bacon cheeseburgers for those with a bigger appetite.
- You can make your bacon in the oven by placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until desired crispiness.
These incredible burgers are a favorite burger at Carl's Jr or Hardee's, with charbroiled beef patties with bacon, crispy onion rings, melted cheese, and bbq sauce.
Yes, I recommend using a heavy bottom pan like a cast iron skillet to cook the patties more evenly and get a really good sear.
Yes, you can make these patties ahead of time and place them in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
Using an instant-read thermometer to know when the internal temperature reaches 135 degrees for medium rare or 145 degrees for medium.
Western Bacon Cheeseburger
- 8 slices of bacon
- 8 frozen onion rings
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground beef 80/20
- 4 slices of American cheese
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and cook the bacon until crispy. To bake in the oven see notes.
- Cook the onion rings according to the pkg directions and set aside.
- In a small bowl add the paprika, garlic powder salt, and pepper and mix.
- Divide the ground beef into 4 balls and shape it into patties about the same size as your bun. Using your thumb to form a slight dent in the center of the patty. Place them on a plate.
- Season the patties with the spice mixture.
- Heat a grill or skillet on medium-high heat, place the patties on the grill, and cook 4-5 minutes. Flip the patties and cook for another 2 minutes then place the cheese slices on top and let them melt while the patties finish cooking. Check the temperature using a digital meat thermometer. Place the patties on a plate to rest.
- Place the buns on the grill to toast.
- Spread a couple of tablespoons of barbecue sauce on the bottom bun. Then place two onion rings on the barbecue sauce followed by the patty and bacon, then the top bun.