This skillet burger is juicy with a crunchy crust, melted cheese, and caramelized onions. And let's not forget about the creamy chipotle mayo that will simply rock your world!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here
Who knew that you could get a juicy burger without having to heat up the grill? Making burgers at home is literally some of the best burgers you'll eat! That cheeseburger flavor paired with a side of my Crispy Onion Rings or Potato Wedges will have you craving this recipe time and time again. With how simple stovetop burgers are, you can easily make these a regular weeknight meal the family will love!
Why this recipe works
The skillet method works well with cheeseburgers, cooking burgers on the stove provides a fast and simple cook time paired with the perfect crust on the bottom side of the patty. I love that you can change up the flavor by using a different type of cheese (cheddar cheese is so good!), and it really does make a fast and easy dinner that everyone will gobble up.
- Ground beef -I highly recommend 80/20 for burgers. Lean ground beef will work it just won't be as juicy.
- Onions - Use the type of onion that you like here - it's versatile.
- Cheese- I use American but pepper jack or cheddar is also delicious.
- Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce - This adds a bit of heat which you can increase or decrease depending on your tastebuds.
- Hamburger Buns- I like to use a soft Brioche bun.
How to cook a burger on the stove top
- Step 1: In a small bowl, add the mayo, chipotle, and adobo sauce. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Step 2: Divide the meat into four patties and place on a plate; using two-finger gently press the center down slightly.
- Step 3: Heat a skillet/griddle I (I use a cast-iron skillet) on medium-high heat, add butter and sliced onions.
- Step 4: Return the skillet/griddle on high heat. Add olive oil and place patties in skillet.
- Always use 20% fat ground beef. Fat means flavor and always makes an amazing burger.
- Don't be too rough while shaping the patties. Gentle hands mean a more tender burger.
- To stop shrinkage while cooking the burgers, make an indent in the center of the patty. This will keep that perfect patty shape and prevent it from shrinking.
- Cook burgers in a super hot skillet. I use cast iron.
Pro tip for caramelized onions
This is a quick version of caramelized onions. It can take up to 45 min to an hour to make them. If you have the time by all means do it. But this way turns out great too. They add the best flavor to the burgers.
You want to use the hottest skillet you have to get the best sear. A stainless steel pan or carbon steel will also work.
Make sure that you're not overmixing the burger mix. Also, if you make a thin patty, you will need to pay more attention to the cooking time because it will cook faster. Lastly, using meat with a higher fat content will also help you have a moist and delicious burger.
This is super easy just mix the mayo and chipotle in adobo (I put the rest of the container in a Ziplock freezer bag and freeze for more uses) in a small bowl add salt and pepper to taste and woolah! This mayo is fantastic on sandwiches, burgers, and even hot dogs. Keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Making a burger with your favorite toppings is the best! You can easily add lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and more! I like to top with extra American Cheese sometimes as well. Because there's nothing like that cheese melt on top of the burger patties!
Skillet Burger with Caramelized Onions
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef 20% fat)
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 8 slices cheese
- 4 Buns
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1. In a small bowl add the mayo, chipotle, and adobo sauce. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2. Divide the meat into four patties and place on a plate, using two-finger gently press the center down slightly. This ensures that the burgers don't shrink too much. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides.
- 3. Heat a skillet/griddle I (I use cast iron) on medium-high heat add butter and sliced onions. Cook for about 5 minutes tossing the onions every minute or so. Then reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle some salt and pepper and cook for about 15 minutes, tossing every couple minutes so they don't burn. Remove to a bowl.
- 4. Return the skillet/griddle to high heat. Add olive oil and place patties in skillet. Cook without moving for 3 minutes. Flip and cook another 2 minutes and add cheese, cover and cook another 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- 5. Serve on soft buns with chipotle mayo. Top with lettuce, tomato, and caramelized onions.