Parmesan Onion Rings use simple ingredients, are super crispy, and make a tasty snack or appetizer. We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Onion rings are one of my all-time favorite guilty pleasures. I would take them over fries any day. These parmesan onion rings are deliciously crunchy, and always a huge hit. They are fantastic on a burger or just as a side dish.
I make them every time with my Jalapeno Pepper Jack Chicken Burger or my Skillet Burger. Or just munching a big ole plate while watching the game. This recipe gives you the perfect onion ring, crispy on the outside with a sweet onion on the inside...So good!
Let's take a quick look at the ingredients
Onions- I use sweet or white onions
Panko Bread Crumbs
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the full printable recipe!
Items used to make this recipe:
How to make parmesan onion rings
Step 1 Onions, peel and slice the onions into 1/4 inch thick slices.
Step 2 Mix the flour, In a bowl mix together the flour and spices and toss some onions rings.
Step 3 Egg wash, whisk together the egg wash, and add some dipped onion rings
Step 4 Panko bread crumbs add the seasoned bread crumbs to the bowl and then toss the egg-dipped onion rings into it.
Step 5 Back into the wash
Step 6 Then back in the panko crumbs
Step 7 Baking sheet, place the onion rings on the baking sheet.
Step 8 Heat the oil, add the onion rings into the hot oil to fry.
1. Here is an easy tutorial on how to cut onions into slices.
2. Cut the onions about 1/2 inch thick.
3. Bread all your onion rings and place them on a baking sheet. Once the oil is ready the frying process is quick.
What kind of onions should I use?
I prefer yellow or sweet Vidalia onions. White can also be used but it is a more pungent flavor.
Can these be made in the air fryer?
Yes, Preheat the fryer at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Spray the fryer with cooking spray and add a single layer of breaded onion rings to the sir fryer and spray. Fry for 4 minutes then flip and fry for 3 minutes. Remove to a baking sheet and repeat.
Can I freeze onion rings?
Yes, place a single layer of breaded onion rings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 2-3 hours or until frozen. Place the onion rings in a large ziplock freezer bag and freeze for up to 6 months.
Now let's talk about this sauce...it is amazing! Just a touch of heat from the sriracha takes each crispy bite to the next level. Also perfect for dunking some fries, it is so good!
Need More Appetizers? Check these out!
Chicken Club Flatbread Pizza
Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Spicy Teriyaki Chicken Wings
Garlic Roasted Tomato Spinach Flatbread
Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
Chipotle Bacon Deviled Eggs
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- Cut onion into 1/4 inch rings. Carefully separate the rings.
- In a medium bowl add flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, and baking powder and whisk until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk egg and milk and set aside.
- In a separate bowl add Panko bread crumbs, bread crumbs, Parmesan, and mix.
- Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated. Then dip into the egg mixture. Then into the bread crumb mixture, back into the egg mixture, and again into the bread crumb mixture. Then lay on a baking sheet. Repeat until done.
- Heat oil to 325 degrees in a large heavy pot or deep fryer. It should be at least 2-3 inches deep.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden, turning about halfway through.
- Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet. Place the fried onion rings on the cooling rack to drain.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
- In a small bowl mix mayo, sugar, and sriracha.
White, yellow, or even sweet onions work well for these.
Serving Size4 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 505Saturated Fat 6gCholesterol 63mgSodium 693mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 3gSugar 8gProtein 13g