Onion rings are one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures. I would take them over fries any day. These parmesan onion rings are deliciously crunchy, and always a huge hit. They are fantastic on a burger or just as a side.
I make them every time with my jalapeno pepper jack chicken burger. Or just munching a big ole plate while watching the game. This recipe gives you the perfect onion ring, crispy on the outside with a sweet onion on the inside…So good!
How to make parmesan onion rings
- First peel and slice onions into 1/4 inch thick rings, and separate them from each other.
- Next you’ll need three bowls. Mix flour, baking powder, paprika, cayenne and salt in one bowl. Whisk egg and milk in another bowl. Then add bread crumbs panko and parmesan in the last bowl.
- Toss a few rings in the flour, then dunk them in the egg mixture and roll them in the panko crumbs. A quick dunk back into the egg mixture and then back into the panko mixture. Place rings n a baking sheet until all the rings are breaded.
- Add 2 inches vegetable or canola oil to a pot. Using a candy thermometer heat the oil to 325 degrees. carefully add in a few onion rings. Cook 2-3 minutes flipping about halfway through. Place on a cooling rack or paper towel to drain extra grease. Season with a little more salt if desired.
Items used to make this recipe:
Need More Appetizers? Check these out!
- Chicken Club Flatbread Pizza
- Party Pinwheels
- Cheese Balls
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Spicy Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- Garlic Roasted Tomato Spinach Flatbread
- Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Chipotle Bacon Deviled Eggs
Now lets talk about this sauce…it is amazing! Just a touch of heat from the sriracha takes each crispy bite to the next level. Also perfect for dunking some fries, it is so good!
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- Cut onion into 1/4 inch rings. Carefully separate the rings.
- In a medium bowl add flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, and baking powder and whisk until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk egg and milk and set aside.
- In a separate bowl add bread crumbs, Panko crumbs, Parmesan and mix.
- Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated. Then dip into the egg mixture. Then into the bread crumb mixture, back into the egg mixture and again into the bread crumb mixture. Then lay on a baking sheet. Repeat until done.
- Heat oil to 325 degrees in a large heavy pot or deep fryer. It should be at least 2-3 inches deep.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden, turning about halfway through.
- Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet. Place the fried onion rings on the cooling rack to drain.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
- In a small bowl mix mayo, sugar and sriracha.
Serving Size4 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 505Saturated Fat 6gCholesterol 63mgSodium 693mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 3gSugar 8gProtein 13g