Southern potato salad is an easy side dish thats always a huge hit!
Summer wouldn't be the same without a serving or two of my potato salad. Creamy and tangy and loaded with olives and hard boiled eggs. With lots of crunchy texture from the onions and celery.
This potato salad really is delicious and I have to restrain myself from eating the whole bowl. This salad will go perfectly with all your BBQ favorites.
Tips for making this Southern potato salad
- Dice the potatoes into 1-inch cubes,
- Add cubed potatoes to a pot of cold water bring to a boil and add salt, cook until soft.
- Drain and gently break up the potatoes. I like my potato salad to have that rustic texture creamy with small chunks of potatoes. But if you like it chunkier then don't break the potatoes up.
- Add in all the ingredients except the boiled eggs while the potatoes are still slightly warm and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the diced eggs, sprinkle with paprika, and more chopped dill if desired.
Helpful tools for this recipe:
Try these favorites with it
- Oven-Baked BBQ Ribs
- Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri
- Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Steak Kebabs
- Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken Club
- Grilled Tri-Tip
- Hoisin Glazed Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich
- Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Sweet N Spicy Grilled Chicken
- 5 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped pickles or relish
- 1 teaspoon paprika, plus more to sprinkle on top
- 2 tablespoons dill weed chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4-5 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1 cup black olives sliced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- Peel and dice up the potatoes and place them in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and add salt, cook just until fork tender, about 7- 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool slightly. Gently chop or mash into small chunks.
- Add in mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, onions, olives, celery, pickle relish, chopped dill, salt, pepper and mix until combined.
- Chop hard boiled eggs and fold into the salad.
- Sprinkle with more paprika and fresh chopped dill if desired.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
If you want more of a chunky potato salad don't use the potato masher.
You can either dill or sweet pickles, whichever you prefer.
Serving Size8 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 561Saturated Fat 6gCholesterol 111mgSodium 1003mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 10g