Southern potato salad is an easy side dish that's always a huge hit!
Summer wouldn't be the same without a serving or two of my potato salad. Creamy and tangy and loaded with olives and hard-boiled eggs. With lots of crunchy texture from the onions and celery.
This potato salad really is delicious and I have to restrain myself from eating the whole bowl. This salad will go perfectly with all your BBQ favorites.
Tips for making this Southern potato salad
- Dice the potatoes into 1-inch cubes,
- Add cubed potatoes to a pot of cold water bring to a boil and add salt, cook until soft.
- Drain and gently break up the potatoes. I like my potato salad to have that rustic texture creamy with small chunks of potatoes. But if you like it chunkier then don't break the potatoes up.
- Add in all the ingredients except the boiled eggs while the potatoes are still slightly warm and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the diced eggs, sprinkle with paprika, and more chopped dill if desired.
Helpful tools for this recipe:
Try these favorites with it
- Oven-Baked BBQ Ribs
- Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri
- Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Steak Kebabs
- Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken Club
- Grilled Tri-Tip
- Hoisin Glazed Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich
- Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Sweet N Spicy Grilled Chicken
Southern Potato Salad
- 5 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped pickles or relish
- 1 teaspoon paprika plus more to sprinkle on top
- 2 tablespoons dill weed chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4-5 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1 cup black olives sliced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- Peel and dice up the potatoes and place them in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and add salt, cook just until fork tender, about 7- 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool slightly. Gently chop or mash into small chunks.
- Add in mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, onions, olives, celery, pickle relish, chopped dill, salt, pepper and mix until combined.
- Chop hard boiled eggs and fold into the salad.
- Sprinkle with more paprika and fresh chopped dill if desired.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.