Strawberry Turnovers are flaky, buttery, and filled with a homemade strawberry filling in a puff pastry shell topped with a sweet glaze!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
A heavenly combination of buttery layers and juicy strawberries, baked to golden perfection. With strawberry season in full bloom, these flaky pastries make a perfect breakfast or dessert and a delicious Summer indulgence, like my Strawberry Swiss Roll Cake or Strawberry Crumble Bars!
Why this recipe works
Using just s few ingredients and using some store-bought puff pastry from the grocery store you'll be making these fruit turnovers over and over this summer. Whether served on their own, accompanied by a scoop of ice cream, or paired with a dollop of whipped cream, strawberry pastries are a delicious and irresistible indulgence. If you prefer a regular pie crust try my Air Fryer Apple Pies and Cherry Hand Pies.
- Strawberries: I like to use fresh strawberries but frozen will also work.
- Corn starch: This is a must in this recipe it helps thicken the strawberry sauce so it isn't so runny.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar can be adjusted depending on how sweet your strawberries are.
How to make these fresh strawberry turnovers
- Step 1: Heat a medium saucepan on medium-low heat and add the diced strawberries, water, sugar, and cornstarch and simmer until thickened.
- Step 2: Roll out the puff pastry dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Step 3: Cut the puff pastry sheets into four equal parts, I like to use a pizza cutter.
Step 4: Add some of the fruit filling into the center.
- Step 5: Fold the pastry over and using a fork pinch the edges of the turnovers.
- Step 6: Place the turnovers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Step 7: Brush some egg wash over the top.
- Step 8: Using a sharp knife cut a couple slits in the top.
- Step 9: Bake until golden brown.
- Step 10: Remove from the oven and drizzle the glaze over the top of each pastry.
- You can adjust the sugar according to how sweet or tart your strawberries are.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on the baking sheet for easy clean-up.
- If you don't want a glaze on top, you could sprinkle granulated sugar on top before baking. Or give them a dusting of powdered sugar just before serving.
- Make sure you pinch the edges to prevent the filling from oozing out.
- In a time crunch? Use store-bought strawberry jam.
Yes, you can make these year-round using frozen strawberries you just want to thaw them first and omit the water.
Of course, blueberries and peaches are delicious, and my Apple Turnovers are also yummy!
Store these easy strawberry turnovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Sure, can, Wrap each baked pastry in plastic wrap and place in a large ziplock freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and warm in a 350-degree oven for 5 minutes.
- 2 cups strawberries washed and diced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed
- Sprinkle of flour
- 1 egg white
For the Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- In a saucepan on medium-low heat add the strawberries, water, sugar, and cornstarch and mix. Cooke for 3-4 minutes and using a potato masher or fork smash the strawberries a bit. Remove from the stovetop and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Sprinkle some flour on a cutting board and lay out the puff pastry. Using a rolling pin or cup roll out the creases in the puff pastry. Cut the puff pastry into four large squares.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of the strawberry filling into the middle of the squares.
- Fold the corner over to form a triangle. Using a fork crimp the edges to seal.
- Transfer the turnovers to a baking sheet and brush the top with the egg whites. Using a small knife make to small slit in the top.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.
For the Glaze
- In a small bowl add the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix and add the rest of the milk if needed for desired consistency.
- Let turnovers cool for 5 minutes then using s spoon drizzle over the top.