These Beef Short Ribs in Red Wine are cooked low and slow in a rich deep sauce. Your family is sure to enjoy this!
Everyone loves these Beef Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine. Chunks of rich meat that falls right off the bone, in a deep rich sauce. The perfect Winter night comfort food.
I am absolutely obsessed with short ribs. They are so forgiving and easy to prepare, cooked low and slow in a delicious rich liquid. Perfect on a pile of creamy mashed potatoes or even Polenta. YUM!
Browning the short ribs just help sear them and give them a little color.
After the veggies have a little brown to them add the garlic, then the tomato paste. The tomato paste needs a little heat to wake it up.
It’s even better the next day, if that’s even possible! When it sits in that delicious braising liquid the flavors just intensify. If you don’t have Dutch Oven check this one out. I love this pot, I use it for everything and it will last forever!
Do you want to try some pork ribs? Check out my Easy Oven Baked Ribs one of my most popular recipes on the blog!
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs (2-3 inches thick)
- kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 6 carrots peeled and cut into large chucks
- 6 cloves garlic diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Season ribs liberally with salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven or heavy bottom pot. Heat oil over medium high heat. Sear ribs on all sides and transfer to a plate.
- Add onions and carrots to cook, occasionally stirring until browned about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute and then add tomato paste and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add red wine to deglaze the pot, then add the beef broth and bring to a low boil. Turn the heat to low and add back in the short ribs. Add your sprigs of Rosemary and Thyme into the pot. Cover with lid and bake for 2 hours then lower the heat to 325 degrees and bake another hour.
- Remove pot from oven and let cool10 minutes before serving.