Chinese spare ribs are melt-in-your-mouth tender with deep flavors of honey, hoisin and five spice powder.
Chinese spare ribs are made in the slow cooker and come out so tender and delicious, better than any take out restaurant . Smothered in a flavorful sauce that becomes a sticky, finger-licking sticky glaze!
I love ribs especially the ones in Chinese restaurants. Super tender with a sticky delicious sauce, once you start hard to stop!
I like to have the butcher cut my spare ribs once right down the center to make shorter ribs. Although they cook just fine without being cut, I just prefer them smaller. Adding the red food coloring gives the sauce a deep rich color like what you would get at your local Chinese takeout.
Looking for more delicious recipes?
- Shrimp with Hot Garlic Sauce
- Sweet And Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Mongolian Beef
- Spicy Shrimp Ramen Bowls
These Chinese spare ribs come out so tender cooked in a slow cooker. Broiling them the last few minutes helps the sauce caramelize just a tad, giving them the perfect texture.
- 3 lb St. Louis-style spare ribs, see notes
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 5-6 gloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- sesame seeds
- green onions
- In a small bowl mix soy, honey, hoisin, five spice, brown sugar, sweet chili sauce, garlic, ginger and red food coloring. Set aside
- Cut the ribs between the bones to give individual ribs and place in a large bowl or freezer bag. Pour the marinade over ribs and marinade 12 hours or 24 hours for best flavor.
- Place ribs and marinade in slow cooker and cook on low 6 hours or high 4 hours.
- Remove ribs from slow cooker and place them on foil lined baking sheet.
- Remove the top layer of fat from the juice in the slow cooker. Pour liquid into a small saucepan and whisk in 2 teaspoon cornstarch. Let come to a low boil to thicken.
- Brush thickened sauce over ribs and broil 5-6 minutes to caramelize on top.
*Have the meat dept cut your ribs right down the middle for shorter ribs.
**I used St Louis Style Spare Ribs but you could also use baby back ribs
Serving Size1 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 911 Total Fat 57g Saturated Fat 17g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 26g Cholesterol 184mg Sodium 1514mg Carbohydrates 63g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 52g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 39g