This Country Breakfast Sausage Recipe is a great recipe to start the day! Made with ground pork, fresh herbs, and spices and better than any store-bought version.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Making your own breakfast sausage is really easy and delicious with some of my Southern Hoe Cakes. Once you take your first bite of this country sausage recipe, you're going to love having this easy recipe. The whole family will be up and ready for breakfast every time this is on the menu!
Why this recipe works
This ground pork recipe is so versatile! You can use it to make a sweet sausage or spice it up for a little kick like my Sausage Gravy Recipe. When you have the ability to make your own meat mixture, you'll love being able to control that perfect classic breakfast sausage taste!
- Ground Pork: I don't recommend using lean ground pork you need a little more fat to prevent dryness.
- Garlic cloves: You can use garlic powder here but minced cloves are so good!
- Brown sugar: Either light or dark will work.
- Nutmeg: I use fresh grated but ground is fine.
- Red pepper flakes: Optional but adds a nice kick!
How to make this recipe
Step 1: In a small bowl add all the seasoning and mix until combined.
Step 2: In a large bowl add the ground pork, spice mixture, and mix well with your hands until combined.
Step 3: Divide the pork into 15 balls then shape it into a sausage patty. Gently press your thumb into the center to form a little dent. This will give you a nice even patty once it's cooked.
Step 4: Heat a large skillet on medium heat place a few patties in the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes then flip and cook another 4-5 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Make super spicy sausage by adding some extra red pepper flakes to the mix!
- If you have a meat grinder attachment, you can literally grind your own sausage, using a pork shoulder.
- Change up the sausage seasoning spice combinations each time you make it. Super simple and a fun way to make different kinds of recipes fast.
- You can easily make a bunch of ground pork sausage and freeze it for later!
Fresh herbs are great for adding a ton of flavor but dried herbs work, too! One teaspoon of dried herbs is equal to one tablespoon of fresh.
To reheat this delicious homemade country sausage, you can warm it up low and slow on the stovetop or pop it into the microwave for a few seconds of time.
I love that you can freeze this recipe for later! You can freeze it before you cook it, or after you cook it as well! Wrap each patty in a piece of plastic wrap and place them in a ziplock freezer bag. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and cook or reheat as directed.
Country Breakfast Sausage
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1. In a small bowl add all the seasoning and mix until combined.
- 2. In a large bowl add the ground pork, and spice mixture and mix well with your hands until combined.
- 3. Divide the pork into 15 balls then shape it into patties. Gently press your thumb into the center to form a little dent. This will give you a nice even patty once it's cooked.
- 4. Heat a large skillet on medium heat place a few patties in the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes then flip and cook another 4-5 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- 5. Serve and enjoy!