Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is made with bacon, sausage, fresh veggies, eggs, and smothered in cheese. This breakfast casserole is sure to put everyone in a good mood!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and with this recipe, you can whip up a hearty, healthy breakfast in no time. This casserole makes breakfast cooking a breeze or maybe my Ultimate Chicken Casserole for dinner! If you don’t want to spend your mornings burning the toast and splattering yourself with bacon grease, you’ll love my Easy Breakfast Casserole, or looking for something sweeter try my Crock Pot French Toast as well!
Let's take a quick look at the ingredients!
• Ground Sausage
• Red bell pepper
• Shredded cheese-I use cheddar and pepper jack
• Green onions
• Tater tots
Scroll down to the bottom for the printable recipe card!
How to Make Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
Step 1: Cook the bacon: cook your bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove and drain it on a paper towel.
Step 2: Cook sausage and veggies: Add your sausage to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes. Then, add the onions and bell peppers and finish cooking until the meat is browned. Drain the grease.
Step 3: Whisk eggs and layer: Next, whisk your eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together in a medium bowl.
Step 4: Place the cooked sausage and veggies in the baking dish
Step 5: Add the eggs: add the whisked eggs and cheese on top.
Step 6: Add the tater tots: Place the tater tots on top of the cheese ensuring you cover the entire dish and bake.
Step 7: Add the reserved cheese and bacon on top and bake.
Serve and enjoy!
1. Cook the bacon in the oven. If you aren’t a fan of bacon grease popping, you can always cook your bacon in the oven.
2. Dont use pre-shredded cheese- Cheese melts better if you shred it yourself.
3. Use the bacon grease. For added flavor, you could pour some of the bacon grease over your tater tots before baking the casserole. It will also help give them a little crisp.
4. Add more cheese. I love a cheesy casserole. Feel free to add as much cheese as you like.
This casserole bakes in just 45 minutes. However, different ovens cook differently. To be sure your casserole is done, insert a toothpick, if it comes out dry, it’s ready. You can also gently jiggle the pan to see if the center moves. It should be firm.
The top of the tater tots gets crispy. If you want to make them extra crispy place the tater tots on a baking sheet and bake in a 425 preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then place them on the casserole.
To store: This breakfast hot dish can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Simply place it in a dish with a lid or cover it tightly with plastic wrap.
You can freeze this casserole! Place the casserole in a freezer-safe dish or in a freezer bag. You can freeze it for up to 3 months. To reheat it, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, and then cover and bake the casserole at 350 ℉ for 40 minutes.
Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 9 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheese divided
- 1-32 ounce bag of tater tots about 40 tots
- Green onions sliced for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and cook bacon until crisp. Remove and drain to a paper towel.
- Add the ground sausage and using a spoon break it up and cook for 5 minutes then add in the onions and bell peppers and finish cooking until browned.
- Drain the fat and add the sausage mixture to the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk salt, and pepper until combined. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle half the shredded cheese on top.
- Place the tater tots on top of the cheese ensuring that you cover the whole top.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the tater tots and the bacon and bake for another 5 minutes until melted.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with sliced green onions.