Scrambled Egg Hash Brown cups are made with refrigerated shredded hash browns, tender scrambled eggs loaded with crispy bacon and cheese!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Perfect for holiday breakfast, Easter brunch recipe, or a quick breakfast for those weekday mornings. Ham and Cheese Hashbrown Casserole. The golden brown crispy edges with the soft cheesy center will surely become one of your new family favorites. Or if you're looking for a set-it-and forget-it recipe try my simple recipe Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole.
Why this recipe works
These breakfast cups are an easy recipe that uses simple ingredients. A crispy cheesy hash brown exterior with tender eggs and crispy bacon in the center. These cheese hash brown cups with scrambled eggs are super filling and the perfect grab-and-go breakfast for little fingers like my French Toast Muffins.
Ingredients for breakfast hash brown cups
- Hash browns- Make sure you use refrigerated hash browns like Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns, they are located in the egg section of your local grocery store.
- Cheese-I used pepper jack and cheddar cheese but you can use whatever combination you want.
- Red pepper flakes- are optional but add a great little kick!
How to make this recipe
- Step 1- In a medium bowl add the hash browns 1/2 of the cheese and seasonings and mix until combined.
- Step 2-Place the hash brown mixture in a muffin tin sprayed with a little nonstick cooking spray. Bake until golden brown!
- Step 3-Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and cook the bacon until crispy. Remove and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Step 4-In a small bowl whisk the eggs and milk until combined.
- Step 5- Heat a skillet on medium-low heat and add the butter, add in the eggs and cook until done add in the bacon and mix.
- Step 6-Spoon the eggs into the hash brown cups.
- Step 7- Add any extra cheese and bacon on top and bake until melted.
- Step 8- Remove from the oven and top with chopped chives if desired.
- Check the hash brown cups using a fork to lift up the side. If they aren't brown enough add a few more minutes of cooking time.
- Make sure you lightly press the hash browns into the cups to form a "nest" to help them achieve maximum crispiness.
- Don't buy the pre-shredded cheese, fresh shredded cheese taste better and melts nice and smooth.
You can certainly leave out the bacon for a meatless option.
Or use ground breakfast sausage or diced ham instead of the bacon.
Try mixing in some sautéed spinach, onions or red bell peppers.
Fresh are best but if you have to use frozen you'll have to make sure they are thawed and drained of any excess liquid. Use a paper towel to soak up any excess liquid once they are thawed. Or else you won't have crispy hash browns.
Yep, you can use a raw potato. I would use Russet potatoes and after shredding them squeeze all the water out using a cheese cloth or paper towels, you need to do this in order to get that crispy exterior.
Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through.
Let them cool completely and wrap each one in a sheet of plastic wrap and place in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Reheat in the microwave until heated through.
- 1 pkg (20-oz) refrigerated has browns potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheese divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Chives, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl add the potatoes, salt, pepper, red pepper, and 1 cup of cheese and mix until combined.
3. Dived the potato mixture into the cups and pressed them down forming nests. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the bottoms are brown.
4. Meanwhile, Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add bacon, and cook until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel to drain.
5. Remove the hash brown cups from the oven and reduce the heat to 350 degrees
6. In a small bowl add the eggs and milk and whisk until combined.
7. Heat a skillet on medium-low heat and add the butter, then add in the whisked eggs using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon cook until thickened and no more liquid remains.
8. Fold in the cooked bacon leaving a little to sprinkle on top.
9. Spoon the egg mixture into the cups and top with the rest of the shredded cheese followed by any extra bacon.
10. Bake for 4-5 minutes until cheese is melted. Removes from the oven and sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.
1. Make sure you use the refrigerated hash browns like Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns, they are located in the egg section of your local grocery store
2. I use pepper jack and cheddar cheese but you can use whatever combination you want. I do recommend shredding your own cheese and not using the pre-shredded cheese.
3. Check the hash brown cups using a fork to lift up the side. If they aren't brown enough add a few more minutes of cooking time.
Amount Per Serving Calories 186Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 154mgSodium 405mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 12g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.