Lemon blueberry scones are loaded with fresh blueberries with a delicious lemon glaze drizzled over the top.
These blueberry scones are just the thing to serve for a weekend breakfast, brunch or special occasion. Moist and buttery and sure to have you craving for more!
I’ve never been a huge lover of scones. They always seemed to be dry and never had much flavor. But these scones are moist and tender and bursting with juicy blueberries and a sweet and tangy lemon glaze!
Tips for making Lemon Blueberry Scones
- You want to make sure your butter and cream are very cold. I usually keep them in the refrigerator just until ready to use.
- Use a fork, pastry cutter or even your hands to mix the cold butter into the flour mixture.
- Fresh blueberries are best. But you can use frozen just don’t defrost them first.
- Brush the scones with cold heavy cream prior to baking. It keeps them moist and gives them a light golden brown.
- Allow the scones to cool a bit before drizzling the lemon glaze over the top.
Scones are best served the same day. You can store any left overs in a seal tight container, and warm them up for 15-20 seconds before serving.
Tools I used to make these scones
- Lemon squeezer
- Lemon zester
- Cooling rack
- Baking sheet
- Baking mat/parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- Pastry cutter
More breakfast recipes:
- Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins
- Banana Blueberry Cream Cheese Bread
- Buttermilk Blueberry Waffles
- Slow cooker French Toast Casserole
- Starbucks Banana Bread
- Sausage Egg Cheese Crescent Roll Ups
- Buttermilk Biscuits with Honey Butter
- Loaded Breakfast Burrito
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter and cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup heavy cream +2 tablespoon
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
For the glaze
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a baking pad or parchment paper on a baking sheet.
In a large bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in cold butter cubes and using a fork, or pastry cutter work the flour mixture.
Fold in blueberries and lemon zest and set aside.
- In a small bowl add 3/4 cup heavy cream, lemon juice, egg and vanilla whisk until combined.
Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and using a spoon mix just until combined.
Sprinkle some flour on a surface and lay out dough. Gently form into an 8 inch disk. Using a sharp knife cut the disk into 6 wedges. Place on baking sheet.
Brush the top with the 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Bake 18-20 minutes
- Remove from oven and drizzle with lemon glaze
For the glaze
- In a small bowl add the sugar, lemon juice and whisk.