Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish has a flaky dough with a sweet cream cheese filling and juicy plump blueberries on top. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Blueberries and cream cheese on a deliciously sweet puff pastry...what’s not to love?! I’ve always been a fan of danishes, but this Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish takes the cake! Perfect as a breakfast option or afternoon snack, you’ll love these homemade danishes!
Let’s Take A Look At The Ingredients
• Puff pastry sheets
• Cream cheese-full fat cream cheese works best for this recipe.
• Almond extract (optional)- I highly recommend adding almond extract
• Fresh blueberries
• Lemon juice
• Powdered sugar
Scroll down for the full detailed printable recipe card!
How to Make A Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish
Step 1: Cut the Puff Pastry: Next, unfold your pastry sheets, and lay them flat on your cutting board. Cut them into 3 equal strips. Then, cut each strip in half to make 6 rectangular strips.
Step 2: Prepare pastry sheets: Place your cut pastry sheets on a baking sheet.
Step 3: Score the pastry Lightly score another rectangle 1 inch from the edge with a small paring knife.
Step 4: Poke holes in the pastry: Using a fork poke holes in the center square to prevent it from puffing up.
Step 5: Toss blueberries: Combine blueberries and lemon juice. Toss the blueberries until fully coated with lemon juice. Then, add the blueberries evenly on top of the cream cheese mixture.
Step 6: Mix the cream cheese filling: After your cream cheese is softened, mix it with sugar, almond extract, and vanilla until it’s creamy.
Step 7: Spread the filling mixture on the pastry: Spread equal amounts of the filling into the center rectangle of the pastry sheet.
Step 8: Add the blueberries on top of the filling: Place a spoonful of blueberries evenly on top of the cream cheese mixture.
Step 9: Egg wash: Whisk the egg wash in a small bowl
Step 10: Brush the egg wash: Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash.
1. Soften the cream cheese at room temperature. Leave your cream cheese on the counter for about 30-minutes to soften it. This is the best way to soften your cream cheese. You can also use the “Soften” function on your microwave as well.
2. Bake until golden brown. You want the edges of your danishes to be golden brown and puffy.
3. Fold up the edges. You can gently fold up the edges of the pastry puff to create a bowl shape for your filling.
4. Thaw the puff pastry sheets. Puff pastry sheets need to be set out at room temperature for about an hour to thaw.
5. Want to make your own puff pastry? Here is a good recipe!
Where Can I Find Puff Pastry?
Puff pastry sheets can be found in the frozen food section of your local grocery store. Head to the dessert section first, and if they are not there, check the bread section. Be sure to thaw them before using them. Or you can make a homemade version here!
What Kind of Blueberries Do I Need?
For this recipe, we used fresh blueberries. I would not recommend frozen blueberries because they will make the pastry watery. However, if you have a sweet tooth, you could use blueberry pie filling as well.
What Kitchen Tools Do I Need for These Danishes?
You will probably already have everything in your kitchen needed to make these danishes. But, just in case, here are some items you should make sure you have:
Measuring Cups and Spoons
How to Store Leftover Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes
Because these danishes contain cream cheese and fruit, you must store your leftovers in the refrigerator. Wrap each danish in plastic wrap and then place them in a Ziploc bag to keep them from drying out. You can store them in the refrigerator for 5 days.
Can I Freeze Them?
Absolutely! To freeze your danishes, I recommend baking first, and once totally cooled wrap them tightly with plastic wrap or tin foil. Then, place them in a Ziploc freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and warm slightly in the microwave.
- 1 box puff pastry sheets (2 sheets)
- 1-8 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Unfold puff pastry sheets and lay on a cutting board. Using a knife or pizza cutter cut into three equal strips. Cut each strip in half to make 6 rectangles
- Place each rectangle on the baking sheet.
- With a small paring knife lightly score another rectangle about 1 in from the edge. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the center. This will allow the outer edge to rise during baking.
- In a medium bowl using a hand mixer add the softened cream cheese, sugar, almond extract, and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- Spread equal amounts of the filling into the center rectangle
- In a small bowl combine the blueberries and lemon juice and toss until coated. Add the blueberries evenly on top of the cream cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg and water, brush the egg wash around the outer edges of the pastry.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown and puffy.
- Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes dust with powdered sugar.
You can add a glaze instead of powdered sugar over the top if desired. Mix together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons milk until combined. Drizzle the icing over the top once the pastries have cooled a bit.
Amount Per Serving Calories 152Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 35mgSodium 72mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 0gSugar 17gProtein 2g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.