These Patriotic Red Velvet Cake Balls will give a spark to your taste buds!
Red Velvet Cake Balls are moist balls of cake, mixed with cream cheese frosting covered in chocolate. They're a perfect one bite indulgence any time of year. Super addicting and downright sinful! These bite-sized little gems are perfect for Fourth of July gatherings. A guaranteed hit!
These cake balls are pretty easy to make, the perfect recipe for the kids to help with. If you’re hosting a barbecue or even just chilling with the family. You should check out my Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Steak Kebabs and my Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad both are fantastic and always a huge hit!
What is a cake ball?
A cake ball is really just a truffle made out of cake crumbs and cream cheese frosting. Then dipped in melted chocolate and topped with sprinkles.
- You can use any flavor cake.
- Rolling the balls into 1 1/2 inches (I use this cookie scoop) you should get 35-40 balls. You can make them larger or smaller
- Cake balls are typically dipped in chocolate using melting wafers.
- Placing your cake balls in the freezer gives them a proper chill before you dip them.
- Throw uncoated cake balls in the freezer until ready to coat into melted chocolate.
These cake balls are so versatile. You can make them simple or make them fancy. Add a stick and they become cake pops. Whatever you choose, they will be a big hit!
Patriotic Red Velvet Cake Balls
- 1 box red velvet cake mix plus the ingredients on the box
- 2- 16 oz white chocolate or melting wafers
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- skewers or toothpicks
- Bake cake according to directions on box. Let cool completely.
- With a stand mixer or electric mixer, mix together cream cheese and butter until combined. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until combined. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add your cake in pieces to the stand mixer and mix until crumbly. Add in the frosting mix until combined
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, roll into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Place in freezer for 30 minutes to chill.
- In a small bowl add about a cup of chips or melting wafers and heat in the microwave for 1 minute and stir, then heat in 30 second intervals and stir until completely melted.
- Remove 1/2 of the cake balls from freeze, keeping the other half nice and cold until ready to roll. Place a cake ball in the melted chocolate roll around. Using a skewer or toothpick immediately remove the cake ball and place onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with colorful sprinkles. Makes approximately 50 cake balls
- *You can use store bought frosting you will only need about 1/2 the container